Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Onboard Audio vs Sound Card (sound quality only)

Well I've been looking at a lot of reviews lately for the Logitech z-5500 speakers and I keep reading in reviews that you need a sound card to really enjoy these things. My current pc, which will be replaced when I get the new speakers, has integrated audio and is hooked up to my home stereo speakers. I pretty much planned to just use the onboard sound and save myself the money for other parts, maybe a new printer. Anyways, I use the pc all the time to listen to music (and when i get the new pc, for movies) and to tell you the truth am pretty satisfied with the sound I am getting from this old pc. I am not concerned with performance issues relating to sound card add ins only sound quality. So what do you think, in your experience, how much of a difference is there really between the mid-range motherboard integrated audio and a 60-80 dollar add in card.

thelethalblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken
Default Re: Onboard Audio vs Sound Card (sound quality only)

depends on your motherboard sound chip. If you don't have much of an ear towards sound quality, I would go with on board sound. but if you think you have a good ear, I would buy a sound card. If you aren't sure, you can skip the sound card, and try out the integrated audio, and see if it is good enough. You can also hook up your speaker output to your microphone input, and run a program to see how much distortion there is on the sound from your card/motherboard

Old 03-16-2007, 01:54 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

If your getting the z-5500 speakers spend the money and get a dedicated soundcard man! I'd recommend X-Fi Xtreme Music. Newest soundcards out and you could pick one up for around $80.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to ArrizX

For those speakers, yes you need a sound card. For that kinda $$$ you don't want to skip out on anything. Invest wisely in a sound card.
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelethalblow
Well I've been looking at a lot of reviews lately for the Logitech z-5500 speakers and I keep reading in reviews that you need a sound card to really enjoy these things. My current pc, which will be replaced when I get the new speakers, has integrated audio and is hooked up to my home stereo speakers. I pretty much planned to just use the onboard sound and save myself the money for other parts, maybe a new printer. Anyways, I use the pc all the time to listen to music (and when i get the new pc, for movies) and to tell you the truth am pretty satisfied with the sound I am getting from this old pc. I am not concerned with performance issues relating to sound card add ins only sound quality. So what do you think, in your experience, how much of a difference is there really between the mid-range motherboard integrated audio and a 60-80 dollar add in card.
If you have good onboard sound, their will be little difference between onboard and a 60 dollar (surround) card. Alot of humans could also not tell the difference between onboard sound and a decent sound card.

However for a person with a good ear, upgrading sound cards is a definite must. If you are really into music i'd recommend professional quality sound cards and speakers.

Personally I have around 4000$ invested into audio equipment thats hooked up to my pc somehow
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_workur
depends on your motherboard sound chip.
Just exactly how do you find out what motherbaord has a good sound chip?
Raveboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:03 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelethalblow
Well I've been looking at a lot of reviews lately for the Logitech z-5500 speakers and I keep reading in reviews that you need a sound card to really enjoy these things.

So what do you think, in your experience, how much of a difference is there really between the mid-range motherboard integrated audio and a 60-80 dollar add in card.
If the reviewers have stated there is a need for a good sound card then obviously they probbaly have normal ears like you and me and have tested the speakers with onbaord sound and a sound card and found the sound card is better for those speakers.

If I had the budget then I would inverst in a decent sound card because I think a piece of hardware dedicated to a specific thing like sound is better quality than some onboard basic sound card. It's just like a hi fi a decent Panansonic stereo ($800) would be better than some cheap and nasty bargain bucket stero at $5!!!!!

BUY THE SOUND CARD!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

well i have onboard 5.1 audio and it works really well or me
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Baseband Member

what do yuo mean get your privacy violated by vista?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193

is the nvidia 680i 8channale high deff sound good enough?

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
esa193 is offline   Reply With Quote