Omg Help!

Well I'm back :p

System Settings:

You can set Windows to save settings which you can then load up on your new PC or harddrive in this case. I don't think it saves the registry so it should be allright, though if it does I'm sorry (it might just save windows settings), i haven't used it:

Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Files and settings transfer wizard. It'd run, searching for settings that can be copied, and then you can write to disc or floppies with the settings :) This should save personal settings. (I've never used it though). Instead of clicking 'This is the old PC', you'd select 'This is the new PC' and it'd store files back :D

Note:

As for copying of the programs, its not best to just drag files from the C drive to the cd or something because it won't copy the registry. It would be possible to delete that program manually if you knew what it installed in the first place to the registry.

Anyway, yeah, backup any data files you want. Most programs will just have to be re-installed since you can't do the above (should'nt be that hard though), just save saved files and what else from Documents and Settings like Per says, and from the main program files and you should be okay :)

System Restore - Useful Tool:

Oh yeah, and when you get the new system set up, start using System Restore much so you can restore settings back if anything goes wrong. You can find this in Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. You can then either make a restore point, or go back to one if anythings gone wrong. Do this about once a week too.
To check that this is running, go to Control Panel, System, and then to the System Restore tab, and make sure it is set to make some. You can click Settings to select how much space is used. if you can afford it, set this to max as it'll make the most backups auto.

If you ever become choccablock with unneeded ones though, simple delete these by going to the previous menu and selecting to not have system restore using the checkbox, and then after all the files have cleared, click it again.

Good luck with it

i got this lil problem, i have different users on my computer and i made mine hidden, so that only i can access it, so now i cant access it becuase it doesnt let me from my new os, anyway of by-passing it?

I don't actually understand what you mean.

Do you mean that after saving the settings and such, its loaded them back and because yours were hidden and you now have a new windows installation and so a new administrator status, you can't open your files in Documents and Settings? Or you can't see them? Or somewhere else?

Because its a new windows with full control over all users, you should be able to turn this feature off, though I can't really check that now since I'm in college.

Hope I can help

sorry for not being clear, i was in class so i was just typin anything.

The problem is, On my XP that wasn't booting, I hade myself as a computer administrator, and you have a option where you may hide your files so no other user on the computer may see them. Now that I am booting from a different XP and my user is different, it will not allow me to go into my old user documents and files.

Note: I still havent reformatted my drive, i still have my 160Gb that wasnt booting set as my master but I am booting from the 80GB which i just installed my os on

Hmm... there must be a way to set this up.

If the new one has Administrator rights, i'd assume you could switch it off since its a new Windows installation.

Are they hidden, hidden? or just stopping you from accessing?

Maybe Windows uses the Hidden Files and folders option to hide them, though I guess this would be too simple, since all you'd have to do is access my computer and go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and then select to Show Hidden Files and Folders.

I guess this wouldn't work though, but worth a shot.

I'll look into the fact of you not being able to access them. anyone have any ideas?

Ah yeah...that is a problem. Not exactly hidden, hidden then. Just isn't accessible.

Cn you try setting up yuor account exactly the same? Same password and user name? This might work, since it might notice the password and dissallow it.
Though, it would probably still register it as a new account but would be worth a try.

There must be a way...

I don't think there is much that you can do on that now. you failed to mention that little tidbit, and now you may have just lost those files. You may try to change permissions for the files but since they are hidden from all other users...profiles have changed
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q308419
look carefully at this because there is certain links for domain users and for non domain users.

Just how important are all these files? Your best bet may be to remove the new drive and get back to repairing the old one. Since you seem to be able to access the drive shows that it is atleast operational and all the issue is on a lost boot ini which can be fixed/repaired with an install disk(not a restore disc). Do you have an Original M$ installation disc?

Back
Top Bottom