older vaio...revive or no?

MRwadeC

Beta member
over the past few weeks, i have been slowly getting more and more into computers. just yesterday i remembered that i have an older sony vaio (model PCG-643L if that helps). my sister got it for college 3 years ago and then we just got another computer because it has some problems. some of my friends know some things about computers and said that we could rebuild it for cheap and get it running smoothly. i have been reading up on learning how to program and ive been trying to increase my computer knowledge. i was wondering if i should fix up the current computer i have or buy another one.

If it's 3 years old, it's fairly decent. I'd say it would be worth fixing up. You could do things like, add a video card, bigger hd, more ram, DVD drive..etc.

alright sounds good. i dont know too much so sorry if this is obvious, but when i searched for parts, i found basically replacements, not upgrades. where can i find the specifications of my vaio, and where can i find the upgrade parts?

I just searched it and I didn't realize it's a laptop. You can buy hard drives and memory that will work from anywhere, it just has to be a laptop drive, and go to http://www.crucial.com and put in your system type and model and it will tell you what kind of memory you need, or you could just download a program called cpu-z http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and it will tell you your system specs.

A laptop should probably be worked on by a professional, they are much more complicated than a desktop pc and need to be taken apart carefully. Unless your friends have done this before, I'd take it to a professional to have it upgraded.

MRwadeC said:
over the past few weeks, i have been slowly getting more and more into computers. just yesterday i remembered that i have an older sony vaio (model PCG-643L if that helps). my sister got it for college 3 years ago and then we just got another computer because it has some problems. some of my friends know some things about computers and said that we could rebuild it for cheap and get it running smoothly. i have been reading up on learning how to program and ive been trying to increase my computer knowledge. i was wondering if i should fix up the current computer i have or buy another one.
well you can most certainly should be able to upgrade stuff like adding a second HDD, more ram, etc. If you want the latest and fastest computer, probabley getting a new dual core system would be the way to go. If you want
to get a new computer, go with X2 (am2) if you are on a low budget, otherwise, take a look at the smokin Core2 Duos.

i just talked to my friend and he said that he built his and his friends laptop, but i threw out the option of desktop and he said go for it. i will be a college student in 2007, but i have used laptops for the past 4 years and i have never needed its portability so i will just get a desktop.

Back
Top Bottom