Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Kalgatha Send a message via Yahoo to Kalgatha
Default Old school label printer

alright, so im' setting up this new dell vostros computer for the local senior center and they got a new monitor and printer and everything, except they have to keep their old label printer so they can print labels for the meals they deliver. and the new vostros doesn't have a parallel port in it. so i bought a parallel to usb adapter and plugged it in and dled the drivers from the epson website and tried to install it. but it won't recognize the printer! under the control panel and printers it shows it, but when i try to print something it won't print. and if i unplug it from the computer and plug it back in, the computer says an unknown device has been plugged in, and when i try to go through the setup wizard it says that it can't find any newer drivers for it. the printer is a epson 570e. any ideas as to how i can get this printer working on their new machine? they really need it up and running asap. thanx guys!

Kalgatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Old school label printer

nothing? come on guys! should i try to buy a pci parallel port card?

Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Well, You may.. but the new printer can print labels just fine.. Microsoft word can do it.. I'm sure there're lot's of knock off programs that can do it as well.

Did you plug in the printer before installing the drivers? This is the problem sometimes.. Try another USB port?
Captain Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

the new printer can print the labels, but its very inconvenient for them, and remember this is a senior center we're talkin about, these old people hardly know what a computer is much less how to change the page format and put the label paper in everytime. i'd just like to get this printer connected and working so they can have it easy again. i tried everything, installing before and after, all usb ports, i tried pluggin the usb in, installin drivers and then pluggin it into printer...ect ect.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

force the driver to install to that device.

hit me up on aim: blackdogs377
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
Golden Master

First of all, you have to cinsider that you're converting Parallel to Serial, which are two different technologies. It won't work.

And, as for Parallele PCI card, I never found one, as most of them came onboard. I can get ISA one, but for 50 bucks, don't spend your cash.
You might as well get a new one, chuck the old one, and pre-adjust it for them, that's all I can tell you.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
First of all, you have to cinsider that you're converting Parallel to Serial, which are two different technologies. It won't work.
if it won't work then why do they sell a parallel to usb connector cable? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156005
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

http://cgi.ebay.ca/IEEE-1284-DB-25-F...QQcmdZViewItem

oh and on newegg, one of the comments said "in order for the printer to be recognized by Windows, you need to make sure that you plug the **USB first** into PC, only then you plug the LPT connector to the printer. If you do it the opposite way (which makes sense because it is more convenient), your printer will never be discovered by Windows."
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Yeah, for our old laser printer, I had to get hold of a Pararell to USB device for my dad. Worked fine, but its not entirely as productive. The printer can sometimes deliver gobble to you, but, thats the fault of the driver in use, not the device.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev View Post
http://cgi.ebay.ca/IEEE-1284-DB-25-F...QQcmdZViewItem

oh and on newegg, one of the comments said "in order for the printer to be recognized by Windows, you need to make sure that you plug the **USB first** into PC, only then you plug the LPT connector to the printer. If you do it the opposite way (which makes sense because it is more convenient), your printer will never be discovered by Windows."
i saw that, and i've tried that too, but it didn't work either

thanx for the link 2 pci parallel tho, i ordered one and will post results whenever they come in!