Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-24-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Old Processors

Which is faster an Intel Pentium 4-m with 2.2GHz or an Intel Pentium M with 1.73GHz?

ericent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816
Default Re: Old Processors

the higher the clock the faster it will go as long as there the same kind of cpu....

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
muz
Golden Master

Erm well pentium M is just a more modern p4-m optiised for battery life and so you cant fairly compare them cos the p4 will prolly be more powerfull yet the P-M will use lots lesss battery

my pentium M has a 2mb l2 cache and runs pretty quick , i am going to benchmark it against my desktop 2.8ghz pentium 4

another thing to note the pentium M usually is part of the centrino platform so is built for better battery life
Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Golden Master

Pentium M has a better power saving.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericent View Post
Which is faster an Intel Pentium 4-m with 2.2GHz or an Intel Pentium M with 1.73GHz?
Depends what you're looking for. Since they're both mobile processors, I'm guessing you're looking for performance per watt, in which the Pentium M would be more suitable. The Pentium 4-M might outmuscle it, but it consumes way more power. The Pentium M was designed to give great performance while managing power efficiently, something very important when it comes to notebooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz379 View Post
another thing to note the pentium M usually is part of the centrino platform so is built for better battery life
Perhaps you misunderstand the Centrino platform. The Pentium M itself is already built for better battery life, but the whole Centrino platform consists of the CPU, chipset and wireless networking chip. All of which are made by Intel. The whole idea is to create a platform that is designed specifically for good performance without sacrificing battery life as compared to using discrete parts for each component.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

ummm....as far as i can remember...the yonahs and dothans beat out the pentium 4s...
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:44 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

Yonah was Core Duo. Pentium M was either Banias or Dothan.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
Golden Master

Banias are the first-gen. Those has lesser cache.

The Dothan core would be probably beating it due to the cache. If you get a 2.4GHZ, it will outperform the P4 any time.

The Yonahs can run off S479 or S478 with upgrades. The Asus Intel chipset series will work with Core Duos, but not mine. It might work on the laptop he has, if it contains a socket. If he gets a Pentium M based, he can upgrade, if he has the right chipset models.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
Solid State Member

Thanks a bunch guys that answers my question perfect.
ericent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #10
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser View Post
Banias are the first-gen. Those has lesser cache.

The Dothan core would be probably beating it due to the cache. If you get a 2.4GHZ, it will outperform the P4 any time.

The Yonahs can run off S479 or S478 with upgrades. The Asus Intel chipset series will work with Core Duos, but not mine. It might work on the laptop he has, if it contains a socket. If he gets a Pentium M based, he can upgrade, if he has the right chipset models.
yeah the dothan core has 2MB lev 2 cache or at least thats what mine has ,
also as for upgrading , my laptop has a socket 479 mpga and so can take either a celeron M a p4 M or a P-M but you have to check what your cooler can take otherwise there may be heat problems which could be fatal in a laptop

[QUOTE=alvino;624506]Depends what you're looking for. Since they're both mobile processors, I'm guessing you're looking for performance per watt, in which the Pentium M would be more suitable. The Pentium 4-M might outmuscle it, but it consumes way more power. The Pentium M was designed to give great performance while managing power efficiently, something very important when it comes to notebooks.

Yeah yeah i understand the centrino platform , chipset-wireless card-processor . my laptop had the centrino trio but then i believe the wireless card must have broken and so the user who had it before me replaced the wi-fi card with a non centrino one and so now it isnt true centrino
any way many people confuse the pentium M for the intel centrino processor which dosent actually exist