Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
Solid State Member
Default Old monitor with new computer?

I'm buying a new computer, but I don't know if it will work with my old monitor. The monitor is an HP Pavilion vf15 if that helps. Will the monitor work with a new computer?

Tman1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Old monitor with new computer?

Should be fine. Monitors are universal for computers. If the plug doesn't fit, you can easily buy an adapter to make it work (<$10)

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #3
Baseband Member
Default Re: Old monitor with new computer?

I concur. You might want to look at this Wikipedia article on video cards that have pictures showing the different connectors, DVI is most common today - the latest technology - while older monitors and video cards have the VGA connector - and as og stated you can get adapters for them. Some monitors and cards have both - in which case the DVI is better (a little but you would probably not notice the difference between the two). My monitor has one of each and I use them both to connect to two computers, using the on screen controls to switch between monitors.

If you are buying a computer and hope to - now or in the future - upgrade the video card, take a look at the size of the power supply, Many computer buyers plan to add or upgrade a video card only to find their power supply does not provide enough power.
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who understand binary and those who don't.
rockyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote