Old Laptop Nightmare

serani

In Runtime
So I have this Toshiba Satellite that's been collecting dust.

I recently pulled it out to start playing with it, it was in a serious need of a reformat, would not even boot up properly.

Needless to say I don't have the original OS software as it was purchased in 2000. Though I do have a fully working copy of XP Pro that I've tested on another box.

Ok so heres the start: I tried installing XP Pro about a dozen times, everything problem that could happen did; disk not being read, a million failed installations.

So I threw in a copy of Ubuntu and deleted the partitions to do a clean install.

Went back and forth another 5-6 times, till finally today I was able to FINALLY complete an install..however upon booting up thereafter, I ran into some more problems...of course:

"olesvr32.dll possibly corrupt

header checksum does not match the computed checksum"

That was the first issue, so I took the disk out and rebooted:

"unmountable_boot_volume" then appeared on a blue screen.

Any help is appreciated I am at a loss with this pos..

i am pretty sure it's got 2 gbs on there, even though it's 2000 you have to think that isn't THAT old..*lol*

P4 at least..

** Had XP Home on it, when purchased.

its either a HD problem, or something is wrong with your CD. it might also be a bad driver.

you could also try slapping it.

cd i know is 100% fine, how can i go about finding out what exactly it is?

i'm thinking my HD..any way I can start testing? ..without replacing*

I have a toshiba too. I will NEVR buy one again. biggest POS.
But, id have to say messed up hard drive.

I have a toshiba too. I will NEVR buy one again. biggest POS.
But, id have to say messed up hard drive.

Actually, this laptop, granted it's latest nose dive has been quite excellent in performance.

Used to play WC3 on it all day long. Also been a work computer for some time.

Anyone able to point me in a direction of getting this thing going again?..Is replacing the HD looking to be my first option of troubleshooting?

How difficult is it to replace a Laptop HD? If it is possible.

toshiba are pretty good, i had one, and my friend has one.
the only problem with mine was the same a most people where the power plug came loose and wont charge anymore.
i couldve easily fixed it, but i ended up frying the motherboard instead.

Back
Top Bottom