Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
GeforcebOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,251
Default Old computer with new life.

Basicly i have an old computer in the atic . I am going to get it down and mess around with it. And i was wondering could it be made any good it has:
P3 450mhz
64 SDram
8Mb 3dfx 3000
6.4gb Harddrive
DVD
I was wondering would these things make a diffrence.
The processor begining overclocked to 500mhz+ (as far as it will go)
128mb More RAM
64mb geforce 2.
Just wondering. Also how do you over clock processors i have an idea how it is done but am unshore.
__________________

__________________
AMD FX57 - 2Gb DDR - 200Gb HDD - 512Mb X1800 XTPE - DVD Dual Layer - Creative XFi Fatality FPS - Windows Media Center 2005
3D Mark 05 : 9600
3D Mark 06 : 3800
GeforcebOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Old computer with new life.

You will have to do it in the BIOS with the voltages/multipliers and bus speeds etc.
__________________

__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:42 AM   #3
Daemon Poster
 
GeforcebOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,251
Default Re: Old computer with new life.

That is kinda what i thought but i wasn't shore. Would this make any diffrence to the computer if i add 128mb ram and a geforce 2 .
__________________
AMD FX57 - 2Gb DDR - 200Gb HDD - 512Mb X1800 XTPE - DVD Dual Layer - Creative XFi Fatality FPS - Windows Media Center 2005
3D Mark 05 : 9600
3D Mark 06 : 3800
GeforcebOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:07 AM   #4
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Old computer with new life.

The RAM would be a great help.
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

The RAM and the Graphics would be a big help.

On a different subject - I'm just finishing off reinstalling vBulletin - so I'll e-mail you when it is up and completed.
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #6
In Runtime
 
TheSickness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 370
Send a message via AIM to TheSickness Send a message via MSN to TheSickness Send a message via Yahoo to TheSickness
Default Re: Old computer with new life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeforcebOY
Basicly i have an old computer in the atic . I am going to get it down and mess around with it. And i was wondering could it be made any good it has:
P3 450mhz
64 SDram
8Mb 3dfx 3000
6.4gb Harddrive
DVD
I was wondering would these things make a diffrence.
The processor begining overclocked to 500mhz+ (as far as it will go)
128mb More RAM
64mb geforce 2.
Just wondering. Also how do you over clock processors i have an idea how it is done but am unshore.

The best thing would be to know up the FSB first. This will take awhile as you should only up it by afew mhz at a time, then restart and see if its stable
TheSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
GeforcebOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,251
Default Re: Old computer with new life.

O.k then i will give it a shot.
__________________
AMD FX57 - 2Gb DDR - 200Gb HDD - 512Mb X1800 XTPE - DVD Dual Layer - Creative XFi Fatality FPS - Windows Media Center 2005
3D Mark 05 : 9600
3D Mark 06 : 3800
GeforcebOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default

Personally - I woulnd't recommend Overclocking at all (unless it was to somebody I hate) - is it even worth the extra 50Mhz or so?
__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #9
In Runtime
 
TheSickness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 370
Send a message via AIM to TheSickness Send a message via MSN to TheSickness Send a message via Yahoo to TheSickness
Default Re: Old computer with new life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kalthorn
Personally - I woulnd't recommend Overclocking at all (unless it was to somebody I hate) - is it even worth the extra 50Mhz or so?
I doubt 50 MHz would make a difference, but he might's aswell try.

I would like to overclock my current CPU, but coz i have a crappy NEC mobo, they have locked everything, so i cant even knock up the FSB on it. The only reason i want to overclock, and im sure why most people do, is to save money on buying a faster CPU. Just get a cheap one, good heatsick and fan, and then overclock. I could get my 2.5GHz up to about 3.2 GHz with no trouble. After that, it probably would make my system unstable
TheSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 06:54 PM   #10
Guru
 
Lord Kalthorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Britain
Posts: 13,293
Send a message via MSN to Lord Kalthorn
Default Re: Old computer with new life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSickness
I doubt 50 MHz would make a difference, but he might's aswell try.

I would like to overclock my current CPU, but coz i have a crappy NEC mobo, they have locked everything, so i cant even knock up the FSB on it. The only reason i want to overclock, and im sure why most people do, is to save money on buying a faster CPU. Just get a cheap one, good heatsick and fan, and then overclock. I could get my 2.5GHz up to about 3.2 GHz with no trouble. After that, it probably would make my system unstable
A 2.5 going at 3.2 would not last very long!
__________________

__________________
A Knight is sworn to Honour. His heart knows only Virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His might upholds the Weak. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the Wicked.
Lord Kalthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0