Old compaq computer help

chinqz

Beta member
Hey there,

I sort of running into a problem with one of my older pc its a compaq ipaq Celeron 500 exactly the same as this one

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

I was planning to give this to my little sister so she can fool around with it but i wanted to upgrade it first before anything. So i decided to throw in a 40GB harddrive and upgrade the memory to 320MB. I also wanted to install Win XP but this is where the problem lies. When i go to the bios to change my boot sequence it doesn't give me the option to even choose cd-rom boot. so i was like...ok. i decied to try floppy but it doesnt give me the optiong to boot from floopy either.
The only option that it allows me is that 1: Hard drive boot 2: Ethernet Network Boot. So i thought ok maybe the bios needs updating so iwnet to compaq website and it turns out that it does. but since i cant boot off of a floopy i cant get the upates to be installed.
I have a working hard drive in there right now thats running win 2000 but the hard drive is only 10GB.

Is there any other way i can get win xp on this computer with the 40GB hard drive?
Please somebody help i've been fooling around with this for like 3 days now :(

what you can do, is when it shows the computer booting up (black screen with jibberish), click one of the buttons (not to enter setup/bios) to the command prompt. and with the cd in the drive, say your cd drive is D:\ then type D: and then write setup.exe

You could install XP on that hard drive on another computer, then put it in the compaq..would require repair though..

2000 would be so much better on that though..

Ok i have a 6GB hard drive in there right now i want to put a 40GB that i have on the side. This computer would only allow me to put 1 hard drive in so i can only set it as a master. The cd drive is plugged in but bios would not detect it as.

In terms in trying to install the 40gb on another computer then swapping it i tried that but it gives me an error " windows protection error " but didnt know you had to repair. and also i dont know how to repair. so i was wondering if anybody here would be kind enough to post a step by step on how to achieve this?

Have you tried to put the bootable CD and try? My laptop, once having a bootable CD, asks me if I want to boot from it.

Back
Top Bottom