okay.. something weird just happened..

Well I don't know what to say if you've got Zone Alarm and a backup antivirus scanner. I'd say you have one uniquer problem. Let's run over the problems again and try analzying them once more...

- HDD filled up quickly without sending any files or downloading any files to the HDD
- Antivirus scanners picked up no Antivirus/Spyware
- After Reboot space returned to normal on HDD
- Firewall Zone Alarm is in use
- Computer runs fine at the time being

Am I missing anything?

So from the HDD issue I think that maybe you got a trojan in your HDD somehow, because a "cracker" can implant a virus that fills up all your HDD to distract you and thus by himself time to get what he wants. I think that quite possibly you can someone try to infiltrate your system.

Another thing with that theory is that those types of viruses usually go undetected by Antivirus scanners. Which is bad, so I don't know what to tell you. Try doing a search in the files and folders with the extension .wrm, see what it pulls up. From what I've heard "worms" use the .wrm extension, although wether that's right or not I'm not sure.

Oh well hope everything turns out OK. But what you may want to start doing is deleting all your cookies that contain personal information, get rid of all documents that you feel has anythign personl, basically get rid of everything that has your address, phone number, social security number, your home address, anything that you deem that could get you into harms way, such as identity theft. It doesn't hurt to take action to prptect yourself. If it was a person trying to jack some of your personal information I would STRONGLY suggest deleting personl information, should the "cracker" try to reeneter your system.

All I could very well be wrong and your PC just had a fluke, but never in the many times trhat I have read PC complaints ahve I encountered anythign such as this. So just take some caution and be on the safe side. :)

1337DuD3 said:
Well I don't know what to say if you've got Zone Alarm and a backup antivirus scanner. I'd say you have one uniquer problem. Let's run over the problems again and try analzying them once more...

- HDD filled up quickly without sending any files or downloading any files to the HDD

Am I missing anything?

So from the HDD issue I think that maybe you got a trojan in your HDD somehow, because a "cracker" can implant a virus that fills up all your HDD to distract you and thus by himself time to get what he wants. I think that quite possibly you can someone try to infiltrate your system.

Another thing with that theory is that those types of viruses usually go undetected by Antivirus scanners. Which is bad, so I don't know what to tell you. Try doing a search in the files and folders with the extension .wrm, see what it pulls up. From what I've heard "worms" use the .wrm extension, although wether that's right or not I'm not sure.

Oh well hope everything turns out OK. But what you may want to start doing is deleting all your cookies that contain personal information, get rid of all documents that you feel has anythign personl, basically get rid of everything that has your address, phone number, social security number, your home address, anything that you deem that could get you into harms way, such as identity theft. It doesn't hurt to take action to prptect yourself. If it was a person trying to jack some of your personal information I would STRONGLY suggest deleting personl information, should the "cracker" try to reeneter your system.

All I could very well be wrong and your PC just had a fluke, but never in the many times trhat I have read PC complaints ahve I encountered anythign such as this. So just take some caution and be on the safe side. :)

or u could just reformat

1337DuD3 said:

Am I missing anything?

1. true
2. true
3. I think the space started to return after I enableb my huge badass router firewall, shortly after the reboot (maybe like 2 mins)
3. + the NAT one in router. Now I have the badass version on too so I'm pretty sure I'm protected.
4. Happened again this morning. But now I'll just keep my badass firewall on. And get sygate firewall back.

And I'll try deleting all cookies etc.

And reformatting is not an option now. I will do it in a month or so (when I get my new parts) but I don't want to do it twice in one month. (simply because then I would have to reinstall all of the programs and they would be wiped out in a few weeks.) And I'll see how this developes, if I'm safe with my great firewall on then I'll be fine.

This is something I heard.

Sometimes when your computer doesn't have the RAM it needs, it turns to the HD. This could be why your HD was had filled up so to speak, then went back down.

Mr. F said:
This is something I heard.

Sometimes when your computer doesn't have the RAM it needs, it turns to the HD. This could be why your HD was had filled up so to speak, then went back down.

well I was thinking about that.
But then again it would be weird that it would happen while playing civilisations4 and would have never happened when playing FEAR, BF2, Doom3 etc much more demanding games. And even if it would be this I don't think that it should take like 4GB of hdd space.

Back
Top Bottom