Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #1
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default okay.. something weird just happened..

I'm really confused. 1st I thought that it would be a virus or something, but now everything seems to be fine and AntiVir and AVG didn't pick anything up, also startup looks normal.

On this sunny day I was happily playing Civilisations4.
Then suddenly I was in windows.
The game was still running so I just opened it.
2 seconds and again I'm in windows.
Then I was like wtf is going on.
Well then the game crashed.
Which I was pretty sure was going to happen next, so I wasn't surprised.
Then my computer started to shut down.
At this point I was pretty freaked out, I was thinking that it's a virus.
Then I quicly shut my computer (manually) and then booted it up again.
Everything working fine.
Then started to scan with AntiVir and then I get a windows pop-up saying that there is very little space left in the C: drive.
Again I was confused, there was supposed to be atleast 4GB of free space (I know thats really full but still)
So I go and check.
60mb free space.
Again I say the words, wtf?
Then I delete a few files that I don't need (knowing that there should be like 4GB free space left, but there isn't)
So I deleted one file.
Then windows tells me that I can't delete a file because it's protected or it is being used.
Then I go back to my computer.
and to my surprise I'm getting back the lost space, slowly like 200mb every 3 seconds I get more and more free space to my C: drive.
And now I have all the space I should have and the computer is working as it should.

So anybody wants to make a gues on what the hell just happened?

Now that I tried to post this it wouldn't let me
But I'm guessing that it's just a problem with CF (had it happen before) and nothing to do with what just happened to my pc.
__________________

__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
joxley1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,846
Send a message via AIM to joxley1990 Send a message via MSN to joxley1990
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

run hijackthis and go on

www.hijackthis.de

see if anything in startup, check for spyware.

all i can suggest, sorry.

i had the same sorta probs agers ago, i just reformatted.
__________________

__________________
joxley1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:13 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
ChuNalt787's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 307
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

unplug ur internet. sounds like someone is tryin to user ur computer as a server. see if it still loads stuff on with no internet connection
__________________
ChuNalt787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

nothing too weird on hijackthis
startup is clean
scanned with ad-aware and spybot, nothing found.

And chunalt, ur explanation makes alot of sence. Explains why the space ran out, and that would explain the crash. But how did the space just start to come back?

But everything seems to be ok now, has been running for a few hours with no problems.
Thanks for the help guys.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
BSOD
 
HRHunteRHR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,730
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
I'm really confused. 1st I thought that it would be a virus or something, but now everything seems to be fine and AntiVir and AVG didn't pick anything up, also startup looks normal.

On this sunny day I was happily playing Civilisations4.
Then suddenly I was in windows.
The game was still running so I just opened it.
2 seconds and again I'm in windows.
Then I was like wtf is going on.
Well then the game crashed.
Which I was pretty sure was going to happen next, so I wasn't surprised.
Then my computer started to shut down.
At this point I was pretty freaked out, I was thinking that it's a virus.
Then I quicly shut my computer (manually) and then booted it up again.
Everything working fine.
Then started to scan with AntiVir and then I get a windows pop-up saying that there is very little space left in the C: drive.
Again I was confused, there was supposed to be atleast 4GB of free space (I know thats really full but still)
So I go and check.
60mb free space.
Again I say the words, wtf?
Then I delete a few files that I don't need (knowing that there should be like 4GB free space left, but there isn't)
So I deleted one file.
Then windows tells me that I can't delete a file because it's protected or it is being used.
Then I go back to my computer.
and to my surprise I'm getting back the lost space, slowly like 200mb every 3 seconds I get more and more free space to my C: drive.
And now I have all the space I should have and the computer is working as it should.

So anybody wants to make a gues on what the hell just happened?

Now that I tried to post this it wouldn't let me
But I'm guessing that it's just a problem with CF (had it happen before) and nothing to do with what just happened to my pc.

If you can at least boot it up, you can go to networks and make it so that the windows firewall is running, then hit the settings thingy and start up the firewall logger, then make sure you aren't using your inet browser and check the log (search it and go to it and open it), it should be a text document that has a bunch of IP addresses. Copy and Paste it plz.
__________________
HRHunteRHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 02:54 PM   #6
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Someone, for some odd reason, could try to be using your PC as a server, this explains the lack of space because if you were being a server your hard drive would need to store info, then send it and so forth. What I would do is try to get the Zone Alarm Firewall at http://www.download.com just search for it. It's a free tril version, run that for a few days, it tells you EVERYTHING that is trying to connect to your PC, and I do mean EVERYTHING. You can also set a very high security level, which in turn should allow jack-diddily-squat to get thorugh your network and onto your PC, despie how good a "cracker" may be.

Also, I wouldn't advise using AVG Antivirus, I've had it before, used it, and it found things, but then when I tried the trial version of an antivirus program a friend suggested, the new antivirus program called NOD32 made by Eset, found things that AVG didn't. So you may want to download the trial version of another antivirus and run that just to make sure. Also, get a Malware remover from http://www.download.com as well, it never hurts to search for other things.

And if you wantr to free up even more space, go to http://www.download.com again and get a Hard Drive Cleaner, the one I use is WinASO Cleaner. It celaner up 1 gigabyte of temp files that CCleaner couldn't even find! So it's failry good, plus it gets rid of unsed registry entries, which will help overall PC performance. Hope this was helpful.
__________________
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Someone could use your comp as a server and temporarly fill your HDD up and such. Then when it's finished, he deletes them.
__________________
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:07 PM   #8
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Quick question: How does someone use your computer as a server without asking you? I don't think it's hacking or "cracking" because isn't using a server generally for gaming?
__________________
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Depending...mammikoura, do you use your comp as a server?
__________________
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:51 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser
Depending...mammikoura, do you use your comp as a server?
no I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuser
Someone could use your comp as a server and temporarly fill your HDD up and such. Then when it's finished, he deletes them.
well yeah, kinda explains it. But I rebooted so he had to loose the connection, right? And then like 2 mins after the boot the space started to come back.
So wouldn't it be kinda hard to get back to delete them in just like 2 mins?

And 1337DuD3, funny how u mention zone alarm.
See, I was using sygate firewall for a few months, but then it didn't want to start anymore so I installed zonealarm, this happened today. (well the sygate firewall stopped working a few days before but I was behind 2 router firewalls so I didn't need a firewall before now)
Then today this thing happens.
And I'm also using the "weaker" firewall in my router, think it's a NAT firewall.
I could use the one which blocks ports exept the ones I want to be open, but it's going to be a mess getting all my games to work throught that firewall.


And also as I think I said, I use AntiVir as my primary AV, AVG is just incase I need some backup.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #11
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Well I don't know what to say if you've got Zone Alarm and a backup antivirus scanner. I'd say you have one uniquer problem. Let's run over the problems again and try analzying them once more...

- HDD filled up quickly without sending any files or downloading any files to the HDD
- Antivirus scanners picked up no Antivirus/Spyware
- After Reboot space returned to normal on HDD
- Firewall Zone Alarm is in use
- Computer runs fine at the time being

Am I missing anything?

So from the HDD issue I think that maybe you got a trojan in your HDD somehow, because a "cracker" can implant a virus that fills up all your HDD to distract you and thus by himself time to get what he wants. I think that quite possibly you can someone try to infiltrate your system.

Another thing with that theory is that those types of viruses usually go undetected by Antivirus scanners. Which is bad, so I don't know what to tell you. Try doing a search in the files and folders with the extension .wrm, see what it pulls up. From what I've heard "worms" use the .wrm extension, although wether that's right or not I'm not sure.

Oh well hope everything turns out OK. But what you may want to start doing is deleting all your cookies that contain personal information, get rid of all documents that you feel has anythign personl, basically get rid of everything that has your address, phone number, social security number, your home address, anything that you deem that could get you into harms way, such as identity theft. It doesn't hurt to take action to prptect yourself. If it was a person trying to jack some of your personal information I would STRONGLY suggest deleting personl information, should the "cracker" try to reeneter your system.

All I could very well be wrong and your PC just had a fluke, but never in the many times trhat I have read PC complaints ahve I encountered anythign such as this. So just take some caution and be on the safe side.
__________________
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:53 PM   #12
BSOD
 
HRHunteRHR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,730
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
Well I don't know what to say if you've got Zone Alarm and a backup antivirus scanner. I'd say you have one uniquer problem. Let's run over the problems again and try analzying them once more...

- HDD filled up quickly without sending any files or downloading any files to the HDD
- Antivirus scanners picked up no Antivirus/Spyware
- After Reboot space returned to normal on HDD
- Firewall Zone Alarm is in use
- Computer runs fine at the time being

Am I missing anything?

So from the HDD issue I think that maybe you got a trojan in your HDD somehow, because a "cracker" can implant a virus that fills up all your HDD to distract you and thus by himself time to get what he wants. I think that quite possibly you can someone try to infiltrate your system.

Another thing with that theory is that those types of viruses usually go undetected by Antivirus scanners. Which is bad, so I don't know what to tell you. Try doing a search in the files and folders with the extension .wrm, see what it pulls up. From what I've heard "worms" use the .wrm extension, although wether that's right or not I'm not sure.

Oh well hope everything turns out OK. But what you may want to start doing is deleting all your cookies that contain personal information, get rid of all documents that you feel has anythign personl, basically get rid of everything that has your address, phone number, social security number, your home address, anything that you deem that could get you into harms way, such as identity theft. It doesn't hurt to take action to prptect yourself. If it was a person trying to jack some of your personal information I would STRONGLY suggest deleting personl information, should the "cracker" try to reeneter your system.

All I could very well be wrong and your PC just had a fluke, but never in the many times trhat I have read PC complaints ahve I encountered anythign such as this. So just take some caution and be on the safe side.


or u could just reformat
__________________
HRHunteRHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #13
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Man I make that huge post and you gotta reply with a simple sentence...not cool!!!
__________________
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #14
Daemon Poster
 
GreatHype's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 667
Send a message via AIM to GreatHype
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

doesnt an encryption just solve all these problems for you or is that just for wireless stuff?
__________________
GreatHype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:30 AM   #15
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3

- HDD filled up quickly without sending any files or downloading any files to the HDD
- Antivirus scanners picked up no Antivirus/Spyware
- After Reboot space returned to normal on HDD
- Firewall Zone Alarm is in use
- Computer runs fine at the time being

Am I missing anything?
1. true
2. true
3. I think the space started to return after I enableb my huge badass router firewall, shortly after the reboot (maybe like 2 mins)
3. + the NAT one in router. Now I have the badass version on too so I'm pretty sure I'm protected.
4. Happened again this morning. But now I'll just keep my badass firewall on. And get sygate firewall back.

And I'll try deleting all cookies etc.

And reformatting is not an option now. I will do it in a month or so (when I get my new parts) but I don't want to do it twice in one month. (simply because then I would have to reinstall all of the programs and they would be wiped out in a few weeks.) And I'll see how this developes, if I'm safe with my great firewall on then I'll be fine.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #16
Golden Master
 
01001010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 7,888
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

This is something I heard.

Sometimes when your computer doesn't have the RAM it needs, it turns to the HD. This could be why your HD was had filled up so to speak, then went back down.
__________________
Stop the genocide now.
↳ www.savedarfur.org

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:38 AM   #17
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: okay.. something weird just happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. F
This is something I heard.

Sometimes when your computer doesn't have the RAM it needs, it turns to the HD. This could be why your HD was had filled up so to speak, then went back down.
well I was thinking about that.
But then again it would be weird that it would happen while playing civilisations4 and would have never happened when playing FEAR, BF2, Doom3 etc much more demanding games. And even if it would be this I don't think that it should take like 4GB of hdd space.
__________________

__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×