Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Is it okay to open up electronics as long as it is not connected to a power source?

So I am a newb at electronics and stuff, I want to fix them up and stuff like that and I Was wondering if it is safe and okay to open up electronics as long as they aren't connected to a power source, thanks.

TheNerdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Is it okay to open up electronics as long as it is not connected to a power sourc

Yeah man.....givver.

All except computer monitors and tv's (I think) because they store power and can shock you even when they aren't plugged in.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
Omnicide now.

Default Re: Is it okay to open up electronics as long as it is not connected to a power sourc

No. Anything with large caps or HV transformers and the likes can retain large amounts of voltage for an extreme amount of time. I tried to extract the flyback from an old monitor that had been off for a year, and it still managed to throw a pretty good spark when I discharged it.

If you do not know what you are doing, it is bet to do a lot of research before you attempt to just pop it open. Never assume with this kind of thing.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
Solid State Member

Most of the time, yes. But make sure there are also no batteries, even backup batteries can harm the device and possible even give you a little shock. If you are going to be dealing with anything pricey, such as computers, you might want to keep static electricity in mind, and try to prevent it. It may not seem like a little static shock can do anything, but so many electric components in computers are very sensitive, so even if you don't feel it, the component might.

The last rule to keep in mind, is don't try to open something they are really trying to keep you out of. Sometimes, it might be harmless, but it is not worth the risk. I once tried to open up an old AC adapter to my laptop, but I gave up because I found out that underneath the plastic, there was about a 1/4" piece of steel surrounding the whole thing. I don't know if that is just so that the transformer doesn't get hurt, but I don't think I really want to open it up any further just to find out there was something radio active inside. (OK, so it probably wouldn't be that bad, but there is something they don't want you to get to for whatever reason.)

Oh, and one last thing, stay away from monitors, TVs, LCD screens, etc, as most of them may contain mercury or other poisons. Look over the electronic every step of the way to look for labels that might keep you from growing a third arm.
noingwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by noingwhat View Post
Most of the time, yes. But make sure there are also no batteries, even backup batteries can harm the device and possible even give you a little shock. If you are going to be dealing with anything pricey, such as computers, you might want to keep static electricity in mind, and try to prevent it. It may not seem like a little static shock can do anything, but so many electric components in computers are very sensitive, so even if you don't feel it, the component might.

The last rule to keep in mind, is don't try to open something they are really trying to keep you out of. Sometimes, it might be harmless, but it is not worth the risk. I once tried to open up an old AC adapter to my laptop, but I gave up because I found out that underneath the plastic, there was about a 1/4" piece of steel surrounding the whole thing. I don't know if that is just so that the transformer doesn't get hurt, but I don't think I really want to open it up any further just to find out there was something radio active inside. (OK, so it probably wouldn't be that bad, but there is something they don't want you to get to for whatever reason.)

Oh, and one last thing, stay away from monitors, TVs, LCD screens, etc, as most of them may contain mercury or other poisons. Look over the electronic every step of the way to look for labels that might keep you from growing a third arm.
:O I opened an old TV and tried to take out the CRT but it was too tight. I want to fix it because I think the bulb went out or something. How do I know that I didn't touch anything bad?

This is all I saw when I opened the TV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FuckinTV.JPG

Sorry for the link, it's like that. <.<

I only touched the outside of the CRT and what I think it the motherboard.

I think the suction part of the CRT is where I shouldn't touch due to high voltages, right?

Will I get poisoned or something? O.o

I'm thinking of just recycling it or something if I Can't open it properly.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Omnicide now.

A CRT is not cerviceable. The only possible repair would be swapping the fuse, anything beyond that is basically where you will get very messed up.

Do not continue to play around in it. You clearly do not know what you are doing (no offence) and will most likely gt hurt.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
A CRT is not cerviceable. The only possible repair would be swapping the fuse, anything beyond that is basically where you will get very messed up.

Do not continue to play around in it. You clearly do not know what you are doing (no offence) and will most likely gt hurt.
Okay, I will recycle it then. How can I make sure I don't have lead poisoning or anything like that cause I'm sort of worried. O.o
Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

The glass itself usually has lead in it and you will get phosphor, or other toxic, gases inside the CRT. So as long as you haven't smashed it you'll be fine.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
The glass itself usually has lead in it and you will get phosphor, or other toxic, gases inside the CRT. So as long as you haven't smashed it you'll be fine.
Okay, Thanks.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
Daemon Poster

Do NOT do this. The capacitors in these things will seriously, seriously F*ck you up. I'm not joking whatsoever. They can hold charge for a very long time (I'm talking years, maybe even decades) and unless you know what you are doing you can either get shocked (and the ones in TV's, Air conditioning/heaters, etc. can easily kill you) or accidentally short one out leading it to heat up and explode. Small things such as gaming consoles, computers, cell phones, controllers, unplugged power strips (NOT THE ONES THAT HAVE A BATTERY BACKUP) and that stuff you are USUALLY fine with, but don't mess with appliances, guitar/bass/general audio amps, AC units, TV's, or anything similar.