Ok Question

FenderG101

Baseband Member
Ok if I take a blank hard drive, unplug the CD drive on a Windows XP and Copy the Hard drive hat was already on the windows Xp and copied it to the blank hard drive, Could I replace the hard drive that is currently in my windows 98 With the copy hard drive? and Run Windows XP?

how do you intend on doing that? idunno, it might be possible. i just don't know how you would go about that.

First of all, not legal. But if you want to do it anyways (I'm not going to stop you, I couldn't care less.... :p) use Norton Ghost. If you want it to function EXACTLY the same you can't just copy it over with CDs. Ghost will make it bootable, make the registry work and everything...

Also, your hardware (graphics card/sound/chipset) really needs to be similar or it will be confused... Can you give us some hardware specs on both PCs?

kchi55 said:
how do you intend on doing that? idunno, it might be possible. i just don't know how you would go about that.
Well I would Have two hard drives connected to one Windows XP and copy The whole Hard drive onto the blank, then Unplug the newly copied hard drive and replace the hard drive on the computer who's hard drive used to be windows 98 and I am also planning on buying a new MOBO for the previous 98

I think what he is saying is get a new empty harddrive, connect it as a second hard drive to a computer running windows xp, and then copy the entire contents of the harddrive that contains XP onto the drive that is empty. In theory it should work, however, you would run into a lot of conflicts with drivers. It would be better to just do a fresh install of windows xp onto the new drive and then connect the new hard drive to the existing computer that was originally running XP and just copy any files from that hard drive to the new one. Seems like it would be more work to do it this way, however, it could actually be the easiest since there will be less conflicts.

Like I said, the chances that your hardware/drivers are the same are slim to nothing... Even with Norton ghost, it can't change the installed drivers.

07mackenzie said:
First of all, not legal. But if you want to do it anyways (I'm not going to stop you, I couldn't care less.... :p) use Norton Ghost. If you want it to function EXACTLY the same you can't just copy it over with CDs. Ghost will make it bootable, make the registry work and everything...

Also, your hardware (graphics card/sound/chipset) really needs to be similar or it will be confused... Can you give us some hardware specs on both PCs?

All I know about specs is this is the MOBO I am trying to put XP on Is this Mobo (with intel pentium 3) and the one I am copying it from is Intel Pentium 4

iceshooter16 said:
I think what he is saying is get a new empty harddrive, connect it as a second hard drive to a computer running windows xp, and then copy the entire contents of the harddrive that contains XP onto the drive that is empty. In theory it should work, however, you would run into a lot of conflicts with drivers. It would be better to just do a fresh install of windows xp onto the new drive and then connect the new hard drive to the existing computer that was originally running XP and just copy any files from that hard drive to the new one. Seems like it would be more work to do it this way, however, it could actually be the easiest since there will be less conflicts.

How Would I do a fresh install onto that hard Drive? And I don't want it EXACTLY the same just with windows XP

hook the drive up to a computer, insert a windows XP disk, and install. Thinking about this a lil bit now though... Are you wanting to copy Windows XP from one hard drive to another because you dont have a XP disc??

Back
Top Bottom