Ok to put WinXP on a comptuer with Windows ME?

JimHa

Baseband Member
Hey guys I'm upgrading a computer and im curious if I can put windows XP on a computer that currently has windows ME. When I tried to do it it said that it wouldn't do it because the software wouldn't install due to certain updates but to get that I only put in the CD I didn't format the drive or anything. Is it do-able to put XP on this computer if I format that drive ?

here's the computers stats :
Athlon AMD 700 something MHZ (don't remember exact number)
20GB HDD
128MB RAM
10/100 NIC card (for LAN)

The reason I don't want to format the drive now is because if it doesn't work I only have windows XP to load onto the computer and that wouldn't help me should XP not work.

nevermind guys sorry. I just realized I can go to the microsoft site and check everything.

JimHa said:
Hey guys I'm upgrading a computer and im curious if I can put windows XP on a computer that currently has windows ME. When I tried to do it it said that it wouldn't do it because the software wouldn't install due to certain updates but to get that I only put in the CD I didn't format the drive or anything. Is it do-able to put XP on this computer if I format that drive ?

20GB HDD
128MB RAM

The reason I don't want to format the drive now is because if it doesn't work I only have windows XP to load onto the computer and that wouldn't help me should XP not work.

The answer is Yes,XP on one drive Any other on a 2nd Hd.What happened to your other Windows me cd ?
Best advice get a second hd for XP.20 is ok for me,get a 40 or more for XP.

JimHa said:

20GB HDD
128MB RAM

It will work; just format and install XP from the CD.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Why would you want to have Me and XP on the same computer?

XP is not compatible with older software,particularily W9x and ME games.
One more point for JimHa,
I think you should consider another hd 20 won't last long.You need 1/4 of that free for Window"s" operating best.
Unless you "buy" the proper software you have to use the bios to choose or change wich OS you want.
:D

i ran 98 , me xp and dos on one pc with no problems.
it's easy to dual boot xp with other os if you add xp with another os all ready nstalled.put in the xp cd and follow instructions for keeping exsisting os(advanced install options). you can also use partition software to set up seperate partions on on or more hardrives. partition magic from power quest is good for this

clive ellis said:
i ran 98 , me xp and dos on one pc with no problems.
it's easy to dual boot xp with other os if you add xp with another os all ready nstalled.put in the xp cd and follow instructions for keeping exsisting os(advanced install options). you can also use partition software to set up seperate partions on on or more hardrives. partition magic from power quest is good for this
So your saying W98 or me should first be present on C: and use D? drive to install XP ?
This is a very big topic (can't install or play "mygame"problem) these days.Is there anywhere on the XP cd that outlines this ?
But how about starting with the freeway.
:D

Back
Top Bottom