Office 2003 vs Office 2007

superman22x

Golden Master
We are thinking about buying either of the office suites listed. We are on a low budget, but we can get the academic version. Is there a big difference in teh 2003 and 2007 versions? Currently we are running office 2000. I heard that 2007 has a newer interface, is that easy to learn? Is 2003 much different than 2000?

Yes, get 2007!!! Way new interface, wow. I got lost in it. I was like, "WTF did the Save As... button go?" I found it. Office 2007 has a "Start" button also like Vista too. The Office Start Button is on the top left side. When you click on it, it gives you more of the general options that you would typically find in the menu buttons.

The new Ribbon interface is neat, kind of, once you get use to it. The menu doesn't pop down anymore revealing more options. A ribbon is shown instead when you click on the new menu feature and spreads across the screen. Things are moved around and it's tough to find things. There's a huge learning curve when you upgrade to 2007 because it's not like 2003, at least in my opinion anyways. But in time, I'm getting use to it so it's all good. It looks nice because it's new. The ribbon menus make it easier somewhat because the options are all laid out for you instead of clicking on each menu and finding it.

Ive got both, i prefer 2003 because i know where everything is and i cant be arsed to relearn everything. I do like the tab look at the top tho, it looks nice, but its not a big enough reason for me to change as 2003 does everything i need it to do.

It may be cheaper. But don't forget that Microsoft is already thinking of releasing their next copy of office in the next couple years. So If you have 2000, and feel like you are behind on software. I would just recommend upgrading to 2007. Once you learn the "small" differences in versions you will come to like it like I have. I am currently running Vista Ultimate 64-bit with office 2007 Professional. And I truly like the new layout/design work Microsoft has placed into it. That is me though. I like to stay on top of technology as it is available.

2007 may be harder to use, but it gets easier than 2003 after time.
it looks better, runs faster, easier to use.

Yeah, one might say my mom is technilogically impared, lol. I want her to get 2007, it looks cooler and easier to use.

Back
Top Bottom