OEM vs Retail XP

kchi55

Fully Optimized
what's the difference between the OEM version of windows XP and the retail version of windows XP. i bought the OEM last winter because it was considerably cheaper than the retail version, a value of about half, and yesterday while browsing newegg, one of the commentors made note that the OEM version gets locked into your motherboard preventing you from upgrading into a new OS like the upcoming vista. is there any truth in the fact that once you install OEM you can't upgrade the OS or no?

Oem comes with cd only. Retail will come with a bunch of promotions. And stuff. I asked this same question months ago

OEM is basically going to be the CD only.. no manual or any other information is required. The serial number should obviously be present.. ;)

If your purchasing OEM software off of a site, like Newegg, you'll be fine as I've done it and have had no problems. My hard drive was OEM as well.. :p

Seriously, if you don't need the documentation for XP, which you probally won't, then you should be fine.

PS: Please shorton your signature to a maximum of 5 lines to cohere to the forum's rules. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom