OEM vs. Retail

Legion Kreinak

In Runtime
What's the difference between these for the various parts? I know for the processor, it comes with a stock heatsink and fan. What about HDDs? PSUs? All the others? OEM vs. Retail - what's what?

OEM.. I forget what it stands for, but basicly what it is, is, the origional packaging straight from the manufacturer. But the Retail, is what the store puts it in, like fancy box's and such. Im not sure if thats right, but thats my take on it.

Well which is typically better to buy? I know this is more a matter of opinion, but could someone enlighten me as to what else I'd need if i were to buy OEM for many parts?

As in my above example, OEM CPU requires I but my own cooling system and thermal compound.

Is there anything else that, when bought OEM, needs extra stuff when compared to the retail?

retail packages include cables and manuals etc

oem products will not normally.

for example if you but a hdd oem it will come in an anti static bag, and thats it. if you buy it retail it will come in a fancy box, with a manual, and the ide/sata cable.

id say buy retail mostly. but oem for drives (dvd rw's, hdd's, cd rom's..) because the motherboard normally comes with all the cables needed for these.

Well I like to get most stuff retail, because then u get everything that u need.
But for example dvd drives etc that don't need anything special (dvd drives need just one IDE cable and that's it) are smart to get OEM (if u can) since it's going to be cheaper to get it OEM and then buy/use an old IDE cord. And when u buy a retail mobo then u most likely will most likely get some stuff like IDE cords etc.

Back
Top Bottom