OEM vs. Retail

Will1

In Runtime
Hey, im planning on building a new computer, and i was just wondering the major differences between OEM and Retail Parts. Anyone have any horror stories about buying OEM.

Personally, I think I am going to buy retail, simply because of the warranty. I don't really wanna save a bit of money and have a part breakdown a year in the future.

Here's my list for my computer so far (still needs changes)....
(prices are in canadian)

Processor: Intel Pentium4 530J 3.0GHz LGA775 CPU - $240
Motherboard: Asus P5GD2-X Intel 915P LGA775 PCI-E MB - $139
Ram: OCZ 2533512V 512MB DDR2 533 (2) - $144
Floppy: Sony 1.4MB 3 1/2 Floppy Drive BLACK - $12
HD: WD WD1200JS 120GB 7200 8MB SATA2 HDD - $109
CD/DVD Drive: LG GCC-4521B/BK 52x32x52/16x Combo BLACK (OEM) - $45
Sound Card: On Board?
Keyboard and Mouse: Microsoft Combo - $50
Network:On Board?
Case: Antec SLK1650B Mid-Tower 350W P.S. BLACK - $85
Monitor:?
Video: Asus EN6600/TD Extreme N6600 128MB PCI-E - $160

TOTAL = $984

OEM is the hardware itself. No accessories such as cables, manual, or nice packaging go with it. You'll get drivers and the product, that's it.

Retail, you get everything. A pretty package, accessories, drivers, manual, cables, power plugs, and productivity software too.

The only thing I get OEM are the hard drives. FOr everything else, it is better to get retail. Hard drives don't need any drivers. If it's SATA, get the motherboard disk out or go online to get it. I have tons of cable laying around for that too. Everything else, I get retail because it comes complete with everything.

You're also right about the warranty. Retail have bigger warranty packages than OEM. Some OEM's don't even have a warranty to save money. That is why they are OEM in the first place.

OEM comes with just a driver disc and maybe a little booklet with install instructions. But as for a fancy box and a bunch of usless junk no. But a normal misunderstanding most have is the warranty. You get the same warranty as if you bought it retail. I buy OEM for the bulk prices I get when I order 100 items at a time. Oh and you get the same support for XP as OEM as you do for retail. The pretty box logic apply to OS's as well. If you don't need it don't pay for it.

Back
Top Bottom