Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Oem Vista ultimate?

I pulled this off amazon.com just checking there prices out.

This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software.

Tell me if I understand this right or if its different than XP if I install and validate it on my computer then say I decide to do a reformat 6 months down the road I could reformat and re install vista as long is its on the same computer correct?

I'm sure it would install on another computer also like XP or did they find a way to stop that? Example i'm using my XP that I got from my old gateway on my new system build.

Also just a quick 64bit question. I know my conroe is 64bit will vista automatically pick that up if I order the 64bit version or do I need to download something before I decide to install 64bit OS?
__________________

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieDaShark83
I pulled this off amazon.com just checking there prices out.

This OEM software is intended for system builders only and cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed. The purchaser of this software is required to comply with the terms of the System Builder license, including the responsibility of providing all end user support for the software.

Tell me if I understand this right or if its different than XP if I install and validate it on my computer then say I decide to do a reformat 6 months down the road I could reformat and re install vista as long is its on the same computer correct?

I'm sure it would install on another computer also like XP or did they find a way to stop that? Example i'm using my XP that I got from my old gateway on my new system build.

Also just a quick 64bit question. I know my conroe is 64bit will vista automatically pick that up if I order the 64bit version or do I need to download something before I decide to install 64bit OS?
do NOT use OEM vista if your building a system. If you install and activate vista on one pc, and later want to use it on another, it wont work at all.
I don't know if it will allow you to reformat and install with no issues.. i'd imagine so...
Vista demands activation, and there is no "Corporate" solution this time.. that has activation too now.

I believe you have to use the "Retail" version of vista to be able to freely install it on different computers.. it costs more though..

I don't know anything regarding Vista and 64-bit.. your gonna have to google around and see what it's all about.
__________________

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
ownage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 4,404
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

when up reformat, call up Microsoft and tell them to reactivate for you.
ownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

Well this is the system I want vista on. I built this one for vista directly. I'm just worried say I upgrade the GPU,MB or CPU down the road or just want to re install it just to get all the errors of time out.

So how do they verify its still on the same system just curious? Thats mad if they expect you to pay for the software everytime you want to upgrade a HD or somthing.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

I REALLY hope the retail version of Vista is less retarded about this stuff.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

I'm not paying that much for the retail version. If that was the case microsoft can kiss my ass. I think the big reason there doing this probally has something to do with all the file sharing programs out there were you can get anything you want with keygens.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
freestyler105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,883
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieDaShark83
I'm not paying that much for the retail version. If that was the case microsoft can kiss my ass. I think the big reason there doing this probally has something to do with all the file sharing programs out there were you can get anything you want with keygens.
Yeah, it's really easy to get an illegal copy already (RTM). Search any torrent site and you'll get dozens of hits.
__________________
C2D E6600 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 9800GTX+ | Asus P5B-E | 150GB Raptor | 320GB 7200.10 | 750W Xigmatek PSU
freestyler105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105
Yeah, it's really easy to get an illegal copy already (RTM). Search any torrent site and you'll get dozens of hits.
Crazy I've always used k-lite or limewire pro for that type of stuff. Can't believe all the things up on http://www.torrentz.com/

Might have to hook my old computer up to my other monitor and download some stuff.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

So the OEM software isnot good? Isnt that like the disk you get when you order a computer from dell or something like that?
__________________
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Oem Vista ultimate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x
So the OEM software isnot good? Isnt that like the disk you get when you order a computer from dell or something like that?
OEM is fine if you get it with a dell or other brand based PC, since you would only use that copy with that PC.. but if you build your own computers and/or upgrade yours.. it could have some big problems down the road.
__________________

MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0