? on OEM OS

I bet it didn't activate.
The only difference between oem and retail is the fancy box. Other than that they are the same. You can buy an oem cd if you buy something that's on M$ approved parts list. Not a brand name just a device like a vid card. You get all the same support as if you bought a retail. The colour of the cd is different and the key falls in a different catagory but these are not things for the user to be concerned about.

wood_workur said:
OEM is for companies installing it, like dell, or some guy's custom computer shop. Retail is for you or me, the DIY'ers that might need to re-install if we up grade. Most places that buy OEM sell products to people who woln't upgrade (otherwise they would do the build and save money), and so the OEM will only install once, and with the new XP crap, you can't chaange/add hardware.
This you are in error about. You can reinstall oem like retail 6 times before you have to phone for activation. An alternate solution is to retire the cd for 6 months. M$ wipes inactive files after 6 months of non use.

setishock said:
This you are in error about. You can reinstall oem like retail 6 times before you have to phone for activation. An alternate solution is to retire the cd for 6 months. M$ wipes inactive files after 6 months of non use.
just wondering, but... how do u know that?

wood_workur said:
OEM is for companies installing it, like dell, or some guy's custom computer shop. Retail is for you or me, the DIY'ers that might need to re-install if we up grade. Most places that buy OEM sell products to people who woln't upgrade (otherwise they would do the build and save money), and so the OEM will only install once, and with the new XP crap, you can't chaange/add hardware.

I got my disc from an old DELL, I use it all the time on different computers, came in a little sleeve, was about to throw it out, thought it was like some stupid software, but I use it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom