oem?

Not quite. You see, the retail version of Windows XP/Vista require you to do an 'update' from an older one. For example, the retail version of Windows XP will only work on a system running windows 2000 or 98se or something like that already.

That or you must have the disc of the older OS while doing the install.

OEM on the other hand, does not have this limitation. Thats why it's called the system builder's.

So yes, if your building a new system, use the OEM version. Not retail.

Wow. I didn't know that either. I just got my XP disc for my build today. Good thing I got OEM:D

you would buy it because i heard that if you have oem software and change any hardware your copy will not work any more.

OEM is only suppose to work on 1 computer. Although, if you uninstall it off that computer you can use it on another.

OEM is only suppose to work on 1 computer. Although, if you uninstall it off that computer you can use it on another.

Negitive. Only retail can be uninstalled and used on another legally. That is the only downside to OEM. Since it's meant to be a "system builder" it can only go on new computer (which is why you are usually required to buy hardware with it). With retail on the other hand, you can uninstall it and take it onto a new computer.

Back
Top Bottom