odd problem/graphics related

pharrell84

Beta member
Hey all, found some quality answers on this site before and looking for another haha..

Well I'm building a new machine with an Asus A8N-E mobo, athlon 64 3700+ processor, some ram, a sata gd and the important part, a ati x700 pro pcie card.

Now I have put everything together and when I first plugged in my monitor to the x700, nothing. I checked everything else twice and finally decided to throw an old pci gfx card i had in there to see what was up. Well the display/computer works with the pci card, and the device manager is showing me that the "device cannot start" referring to the x700 card. What is odd, is the x700 series secondary is somehow functioning perfectly fine (not sure if thats my s-video out or what). If I attempt to install new drivers or uninsall and reinstall the device, I get to where i specify the driver I want, hit next, and right as it is about to finish installing the driver, WHAM the computer reboots. I would like to think this is a power problem but am unsure why that would be an issue with a 450W power supply. Granted it is a no-name that came with the case, would that be the most likely problem? I assume it isnt the card as it shows up and seems to be functioning except for actually displaying anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated, ive been stumped for days

pharrell84

ive been to the bios way more than i ever wanted to, it does have an option to boot primarily from pci pr pcie but it doesnt seem to make a difference....when i googled the cannot start error, I had found some stuff about IRQ issues (which is a submenu which can be accessed in the bios) but so not know enough about the options to change them effectively...it lets me choose between PCI and Reserved for a number of IRQ numbers.

i had a pcie card and put it into a new comp i was building, nothing!
i tried altering settings in the bios, still nothing!
i put it into my p.c and it fired up streight away.
i never resolved the problem, but i was told that it was a bios change that i needed to make.
woz

Back
Top Bottom