Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-25-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz
Default OC'ing with ClockGen

OK I've decided to try using that ClockGen program that lets you OC while in the desktop. This is mainly for the people who have used it since they will obviously know what they're talking about. Anyway, how exactly does it work? I opened it and gave it a small test by raising the cpu clock to about 2222.83 when it started at 2210.09. Then I set the values and everything seems to be fine (of course that isn't a huge OC, but yeah). So is that all I gotta do? Just keep raising the HTT and then set the values? Should I worry about changing the multiplier or voltage or just leave that be since I haven't touched them at all thus far? Also when should I restart, like everytime I set a new value should I restart or what? Sorry for so many questions, but OC'ing is a serious thing so I don't wanna mess anything up. Thanks a lot.

BTW my specs are in my sig, and the ram is running stock at 2-2-2-8. And, my mobo chipset is losing juice so every once in awhile it stops goin, but my temps never seem to jump so is it safe to do anything while it's off? I have even played games while it was not working and nothing seemed to go wrong.

Old 08-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to acphenom Send a message via Yahoo to acphenom
Default Re: OC'ing with ClockGen

I've never overclocked, but i've read a lot about it, and would suggest that you look for a program that tests your system's stability.

I think that only the Cool 'n' Quiet enabled AMD's have an unlocked multiplier, but that's only going downwards. Other AMD's are locked both ways, so i wouldn't worry about the multiplier.

You just go up in small steps and test stability. If you have stability probs, then up the voltage a bit, see what it does.

nVidia GeForce MX420 64MB PCI On-Board Audio
acphenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Its not recommend to overclock your RAM or your processor on your desktop. Do it through Bios
99nasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to winterfreshpwnz Send a message via MSN to winterfreshpwnz

Well that's the thing, I don't really know how all that well. I mean I've read about it plenty of times, but it's still confusing. I don't know I may just not do it at all. The system I have now is fine, but it's just so tempting.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:25 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

Overclocking really ain't that hard. U just have to be carefull. And be extremely carefull if u mess with the voltages, too much voltage and it's bye bye to the part u are oc:ing.

Oh, and btw, I know that u should oc from bios, but my bios is locked so I can't oc from there So what are the downsides of oc:ing from desktop?

Edit: nevermind just tried a few programs and none of them supports my mobo (im guessing it's because my bios is locked)
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Modder Send a message via MSN to Modder

hey if u overclock too much all that will happen is your computer wont start because overheating so you just reset cmos and done.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to acphenom Send a message via Yahoo to acphenom

That's true, but if you damage the components...well...

nVidia GeForce MX420 64MB PCI On-Board Audio
acphenom is offline   Reply With Quote