OC'd my E8400!!

This is where things get confusing for people who don't already know.

Say your FSB is 400. Your ram is Double Data Rate (DDR). If your ram is in a 1:1 ratio with your FSB, your RAM speed will also be 400 Mhz, or DDR2-800.

Intel's 775 FSB is "quad-pumped", meaning that the 1778 FSB you're getting is really 445x4. To get the RAM speed you want from the quad-pumped FSB, simply divide 1778 by 2 to get the DDR2-889 RAM speed you want.

Basically, you had everything right.

IMing Luke, he has the ram running at 889 now and it seems to be stable.

yup....we have the ram running at 889. As for stability, up until now...prime95 all the tests are passing. Still won't know till we get a few more hours out of it.

I got my E7200 from 2.53GHz to 3.85GHz, I also upped the voltage to 1.425, no problems here! So I would guess that your OC is also fine.

and you werent able to get that in your old XFX board, correct?

yup....we have the ram running at 889. As for stability, up until now...prime95 all the tests are passing. Still won't know till we get a few more hours out of it.

You are a brave, brave man. Haha, I'm too scared to even OC my rig to get the highest, I only went to 3.0Ghz and stopped.
I guess I should try again, since I have quite a lot of money laying around now. I figured out I have a lot of money if I stop purchasing computer parts for my computer every month.

It's not scary. You just need to know temperature and voltage limits you should stay in for your particular CPU/mobo/RAM.

Ok so i have returned my E8400 back to 3.0Ghz. Why? because i can't seem to get it to run @ 4.0Ghz stable. Maybe, well definitely there is something i'm not doing correctly. It would run fine with Prime95 for 2 hours, once i shut the computer down completely and powered it back on...i was getting BSOD's.

Anyone have any advice...or perhaps a way i can get this bad boy to run stable. Specs in sig, btw...the gaming rig ofcourse :)

It may be that you just can't hit that speed with your paticular chip every batch of chips is a little different so your top speed may be less or may be even more but like I said it all depends on the chip you have. You could just back it of a little bit and maybe get 3.6 or 3.8 to run stable just because you can't push it up to 4.0 doesn't mean you should give up....:D:D

With OCing its all about patience and trial and error. you see what you can get 100% stable and then push it up a little more. once you find out where it isn't stable you back it off a little bit and keep it there...:D:D

You may also run into problems with memory running all at the same speed because some sticks may be able to handle a little more than another one so sometimes if you are running too many sticks it is hard to get them all stable at the same speed. I know for the 1066 Mhz sticks they come only running at 800 Mhz and have to be adjusted in the bios (which isn't hard) but once they are adjusted if you are running 8Gbs (4 x 2gb) it may not run stable at 1066 but with 4 Gbs (2x 2gbs) they don't have a problem running at 1066.

It all depends on what you can get out of your particular components as it is hard for someone to get everything to push out the performance needed in order to push everything to the max. So your setup may only be able to hit 3.6 Ghz stable but someone with the exact same setup may be able to hit 4.2 ghz. They may have just got lucky and hit a better batch of components.

well i've been able to get it to run at 3.75 stable. With only simply changing the FSB to 1770.
I will see about running it at that for awhile...and see if we are stable. Then i will slowely increase the FSB until i get unstable again. Then i may need to increase vcore perhaps.

I am not giving up :D

it is unlinked LOL....as far as i remember. I will go back in and check once my tests are over with prime95.
Unlinked has no benefit over 1:1 as the FSB is the bandwidth bottleneck. The RAM's bandwidth cannot be higher than the FSB's. So if the FSB is running at 400MHz for example, the RAM's bandwidth will be bottlenecked at anything over 400MHz (800 DDR).

EDIT: In, highest so far at 4.1GHz.

And for the voltages, I've had mine running at 1.368V with a 1.1V FSB voltage. FSB voltage is a far larger factor in the degradation of these chips than Vcore. I would also recommend you set all voltages manually.

Back
Top Bottom