Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-15-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 97
Default nVidia vs ATI

I am such a noob... up until today I had no difference what nVidia and ATI meant and so I paid no attention to them. I now realise there is a difference and am wondering what brand is better for video rendering, encoding, decoding and compression, stuff like that.

Thanks,
Josh
__________________

JoshSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

There is no real difference now to tell the truth in terms of companies.

I mean, they are both very good at making cards to do everything, so there is no, ATI is better than Nvidia, in terms of spec.

There are though many cards you can buy from each company that'll of course be better than older versions of cards and so forth.

Plus, Encoding, Decoding, Compression tend to be more the processors job than a video cards job, which would bring you onto Intel and AMD lines if you didn't know about them already
__________________

__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 97
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

Hmm... I've been told ATI is better but I was not told why... I heard they run cooler but I'm not sure?
JoshSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshSpence
Hmm... I've been told ATI is better but I was not told why... I heard they run cooler but I'm not sure?

Not necessarily...
Right now, the Nvidia 7800 is the best bang for your buck right now... ATi does have a more powerful card out, but it's way more expensive...

When it comes to ATi or Nvidia, it really all comes down to preference... I'm an ATi fan myself, so I perfer them... But it really doesn't matter
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
Kage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 13,873
Send a message via MSN to Kage
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

Yeah, it doesn't really.

If you want to play the latest games though at really high settings for a very long time, I'll have to say its best to go for one of the Nvidia 7800's right now.

As for cooling, thats not really true. All video cards run at high temps anyway when running games, and can get to around 70 degrees easy, though doesn't seem to bother them.
__________________
Abit IP35 Pro / Q6600 G0 / Zalman 9700 / 8800GTS 640mb / 4x 2GB Corsair XMS / X-FI Xtreme M / 1x 1TB / Antec 900 / Logitech Z-5500 / Samsung 20inch
Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #6
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshSpence
Hmm... I've been told ATI is better but I was not told why... I heard they run cooler but I'm not sure?
Well currently nVidia has the best card around. But it changes, soon ati comes up with a better card, then nVidia releases a new & better card...

I'd say that currently nVidia is better because they have good cards for cheap (6600GT and 6800GS) and have the best card around (7800GTX 512mb).
And I prefer nVidia. Some other ppl prefer ati, so are even so weird that claim that ati has the better card when benchmarks shows that nVidia has the best one at the moment.
And some have their reasons for liking ati and will say that ati is better at the moment, which can be true.

But if u go like "nVidia is the best because they have the best card" u might have to change it to "ati is the best because they have the best card" in a few month.

So it's really hard to say which one is better.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:59 AM   #7
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
Well currently nVidia has the best card around. But it changes, soon ati comes up with a better card, then nVidia releases a new & better card...

I'd say that currently nVidia is better because they have good cards for cheap (6600GT and 6800GS) and have the best card around (7800GTX 512mb).
And I prefer nVidia. Some other ppl prefer ati, so are even so weird that claim that ati has the better card when benchmarks shows that nVidia has the best one at the moment.
And some have their reasons for liking ati and will say that ati is better at the moment, which can be true.

But if u go like "nVidia is the best because they have the best card" u might have to change it to "ati is the best because they have the best card" in a few month.

So it's really hard to say which one is better.

lol

Well, I agree that Nvidia is better with the 7800 GTX... But, the ATi X1800 is slightly faster than the 7800 GTX... Not by much, but it is slightly more powerful... It also has a higher potential since it's a nm (nanometer) process and the core can go beyond 500mhz
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

lol

Well, I agree that Nvidia is better with the 7800 GTX... But, the ATi X1800 is slightly faster than the 7800 GTX... Not by much, but it is slightly more powerful... It also has a higher potential since it's a nm (nanometer) process and the core can go beyond 500mhz
well there is 2 kinds of 7800GTX. And also atleast 2 kinds of x1800.

The 7800GTX 256mb has almost identical performance to the x1800xt. The x1800xt is better in like 3dmark05 etc but in gaming they are about the same. One of them is better in some game by a few fps and the other one is better in some other game with a few fps.

But the 7800GTX 512mb is alot better than the 7800GTX 256mb, and also alot better than the x1800xt.

And the BFG & XFX 7800GTX 512mb models have 580mhz as their stock clock speed.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
BSOD
 
JustinMcG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,519
Send a message via AIM to JustinMcG67 Send a message via MSN to JustinMcG67 Send a message via Yahoo to JustinMcG67
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

I want to congradulate you guys on not making this thread a fan-boy war where you have useless posts. So hats off to you...

But back on topic..

ATi and nVidia are both awesome graphics cards companies. nVidia has a sweet card out, but ATi has a better dual GPU set-up then nVidia does. ATi's dual GPU is Crossfire, which has more options then nVidia's SLI. Although, nVidia has come up with SLI x16, which is twice as fast as your regular SLI, which stands for Scalable Link Interface.

But yes, there is no, "ATi pwns nVidia!!!11!!!!!1!1" They're both really good, and at one time or another one has the better card...it switches back and forth.
JustinMcG67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #10
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: nVidia vs ATI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337DuD3
I want to congradulate you guys on not making this thread a fan-boy war where you have useless posts. So hats off to you...

But back on topic..

ATi and nVidia are both awesome graphics cards companies. nVidia has a sweet card out, but ATi has a better dual GPU set-up then nVidia does. ATi's dual GPU is Crossfire, which has more options then nVidia's SLI. Although, nVidia has come up with SLI x16, which is twice as fast as your regular SLI, which stands for Scalable Link Interface.

But yes, there is no, "ATi pwns nVidia!!!11!!!!!1!1" They're both really good, and at one time or another one has the better card...it switches back and forth.

The Crossfire is great, but... When using mismatched ATi video cards, the speed slows down to the max speed of the weakest card... Which sucks :/
__________________

Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0