Nvidia re-entering the budget card market... properly

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
In depth review of two custom-PCB versions of the GTX950 - from OC3D (my favorite British reviewers...)

Looks like Nvidia are finally making a proper attempt to make a good entry level card that doesn't suck and makes sense in terms of value for money.

I've always been a team green guy, to me the drivers have always felt more finished and the experience more polished - not to mention they tend to overclock better! :angel:

It's long been an annoyance to me that Nvidia have left a whole market more or less untapped in recent years - until now the cheapest 900 series card has been the GTX960, which comes in at around £190 for a decently clocked custom design. £190 is a lot to ask for a budget card that will struggle with anything higher res than 1440p, and struggle with a lot of AAA titles at 1080p if you want antialiasing.

So, the GTX950 coming in at £130 (the same price the R9 270 was before it was succeeded by the 300 series) is a great relief to me. It's about time that team green had an option that fits nicely into where AMD's higher R7s and lower R9s sit.

I think when it comes to budget cards, old gen ones can cover that up. Newer generations seem to focus on high-end 3D performance and don't seem to add newer technologies that depend on better chips. OpenCL, for example and if I remember correctly, seems to work the same or with little difference on a GTX 760 or a GTX 780. Also, any cards these days seem to run video and higher 2d resolutions somehow the same.

As for med-range cards, I think the GTX 960 is good enough.

That's how it looks to me, I guess.

I agree with Smart Guy the GTX 960 is more than enough for all applications. I also like the ATi R9 280X that can be had a decent prices as well. I personally have had better luck with ATi software lately as well.

I have a GTX650ti. It was inexpensive and runs everything I throw at it. I'm not a gamer but do watch a lot of movies.

Back
Top Bottom