Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default Nvidia re-entering the budget card market... properly

In depth review of two custom-PCB versions of the GTX950 - from OC3D (my favorite British reviewers...)

Looks like Nvidia are finally making a proper attempt to make a good entry level card that doesn't suck and makes sense in terms of value for money.

I've always been a team green guy, to me the drivers have always felt more finished and the experience more polished - not to mention they tend to overclock better!

It's long been an annoyance to me that Nvidia have left a whole market more or less untapped in recent years - until now the cheapest 900 series card has been the GTX960, which comes in at around 190 for a decently clocked custom design. 190 is a lot to ask for a budget card that will struggle with anything higher res than 1440p, and struggle with a lot of AAA titles at 1080p if you want antialiasing.

So, the GTX950 coming in at 130 (the same price the R9 270 was before it was succeeded by the 300 series) is a great relief to me. It's about time that team green had an option that fits nicely into where AMD's higher R7s and lower R9s sit.

EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked 2GB MSI R9 270X // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Nvidia re-entering the budget card market... properly

I think when it comes to budget cards, old gen ones can cover that up. Newer generations seem to focus on high-end 3D performance and don't seem to add newer technologies that depend on better chips. OpenCL, for example and if I remember correctly, seems to work the same or with little difference on a GTX 760 or a GTX 780. Also, any cards these days seem to run video and higher 2d resolutions somehow the same.

As for med-range cards, I think the GTX 960 is good enough.

That's how it looks to me, I guess.

Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #3
In Runtime

I agree with Smart Guy the GTX 960 is more than enough for all applications. I also like the ATi R9 280X that can be had a decent prices as well. I personally have had better luck with ATi software lately as well.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
Wizard of Wires

I have a GTX650ti. It was inexpensive and runs everything I throw at it. I'm not a gamer but do watch a lot of movies.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote