Nvidia GTX 280 official launch. Reviews are up.

BFG (NVIDIA) GeForce GTX 280: does it rock our world?
"Bigger numbers means higher benchmarking performance than any single-GPU that's crossed our path, especially as resolution and image-quality settings are increased, thanks to the massive bandwidth on offer."

Nvidia's GeForce GTX 280 graphics processor
"Clearly, the GTX 280 is far and away the new single-GPU performance champ, and Nvidia has done it again by nearly doubling the resources of the G80."

GeForce GTX 280 review
"We have to admit, the GeForce GTX 280 is simply put - a Greek power house. Spaaaartaaans! Year after year it astonishes me how many transistors chipset manufacturers can place on a chipset die ... apparently NVIDIA can do no less than 1400 million. The result is a huge chip with huge performance."

BFG Tech GeForce GTX 280 OC & GTX 260
"The GeForce GTX 260 and GTX 280 offer a sizable gameplay experience improvement over previous generation GPUs."

You could just quote the best parts of the review, yes. But if you lay it all out:

- The GTX 280 is $650 and the GX2 can be found at $175 cheaper. The GTX 280 often performs worse than the GX2.
- The GTX 280 sucks more power than the GX2.
- Using the 65NM current process, Nvidia will never be able slap two of these GPUs onto a single card due to the power requirements and heat outputs contrary to G92 and RV770.
- You will lose all your credebility by buying one.

Actually I just made the last one up because I couldn't think of anything else to say, but there is some truth in it.

Fake Nvidia GTX 2xx marketing site: http://madpixelz.net/nv/

To understand this, check AMD's www.unleashonetera.com

EDIT: I feel like a fanboy for posting that, I'm ashamed. :p

See there, you've missed the point of most of the reviews. It is the fastest single GPU video card available.

Sure you can compare it with a dual GPU card, but that's like comparing apples and oranges. Yup, the GX2 is cheaper and at times faster in some tests, but if you want a single GPU solution, the GT280 is the fastest you can currently get.

As Hexus stated, "ATI's RV770 and R700 are about to hit the retail space soon, and it's only then that the true GPU picture of 2008 will emerge."

Who cares if it's single GPU or multi-GPU? The GX2, albeit a botch job, is a single card that can run on any motherboard with a PCI-E port, it does not require an SLI capable platform, and it functions as a single card.
Nvidia will not be able make a dual GPU card with this architecture until they shrink it. The GX2 is $175 cheaper and often performs better than the GTX 280, anyone, even someone who hates multi-GPU, can see that only somebody out of their mind would buy the 280 over the GX2.
Sure, it's a single GPU that performs as well as the last generation multi-GPU, but at it's current pricing, it's not a good buy.

I can see that it's a great achievement as far as single GPU performance goes, but that doesn't make it a great card.

But I can see we're not going to agree so let's just end our argument here.

We're good then :p . Now let's see how the HD 48xx does and then have another debate :D .

Back
Top Bottom