Nvidia dropped support for GTX 400 and 500 cards.

Smart_Guy

Fully Optimized
So, it finally happened in 2018.3.27.

My back up computer has a GTX 480 that I've been updating for a while to keep ready for desperate times. This stops now.

My main computer has a GTX 680 that I plan to keep for a long time. If it is similar to GTX 400's, support will drop sometime after about two more years.

I'd bet you have at least 2 more years, since the 600 and 700 series run on the same architecture.

Why does this worry you? It's definitely not a big deal. I have an old laptop on an "nForce 630M" running Arch and I'm using the open source drivers without a problem.

What were you using the computer for?

Yeah, they seem to discontinue the architecture support, not the generation. 400's and 500's are of the same arc. too.

These cards are made for games and that's what I use them for. Some new games need specific implementations in the drivers so this could make some new games unplayable correctly. New games will be too demanding for older cards? Not necessarily! I'm running Dark Souls 3 (a mid-year 2016 title) and Nioh (a late 2017 title) on that GTX 480. Without the game ready drivers, they wouldn't have been playable.

And game ready drivers are important. I personally tried older drivers on a game that didn't run well but on later drivers it did. It was Torchlight 2 and enemy health bars were invisible!

Ah I thought you were just using it for office tasks and such. Yeah then that's a big deal, but not right now. The drivers you have will probably hold up for a year, maybe two.

And BTW, there is no difference between the "Game Ready" and regular drivers. The game ready are released before the regular ones, but since there won't be any new ones that doesn't matter.

A Geforce x80 for regular desktop uses is an overkill really. Those are high-end gaming cards.

I've had an actual experience of unplayable games with non-game-ready drivers. Not all games require game-ready drivers, but games that require them do exist. Such is the Torchlight 2 experience I'v had.

Game-ready drivers don't have to be subtitled Game Ready. Any drivers that makes games run right are game-ready.

Another good example is DirectX support. Fermi Nvidia cards (400's and 500's) had to get late DX12 drivers. If at some point a newer revision comes out, it's that specific DX revision's curtains for these cards. And yes, history does show new DX revisions in short periods.

Maybe it was too early for the non-game ready drivers to support the game, but there is really no other difference other than release date.

By the way, how good was the Dark Souls series?

I think it's awful.

Only DS3 is what qualifies as good in my book. Even tho it has many bad implementations that need revision/fixing. Other than that, it's a great game, specially in multiplayer.

Back
Top Bottom