Nvidia 8800 Price Drop

glixon765

Baseband Member
Hey Guys, I have been wanting to buy an 8800 GTS for a while but I find myself a little short on money. Is is rumoured that there is going to be Nvidia line price drop in the future? Or as nothing been said at as to a price drop? Thanks

nope, there isnt any major realese coming out that would trigger a price drop, and there isnt any competetion for the 8800's yet so, no. keep looking around though, eventully youll find a good deal somewhere ;)

Theres the 9800 coming out early next year, which will probably force the prices down of the GTX and that :)

I suspect the 8800GTS 320mb will become budget spec, the 8800GTS 640mb will become minimum/low medium spec, and the 8800GTX being medium spec, and the 9800 becoming top spec

Nvidia is going to be getting rid of the 320MB version, and adding 16(I think) pixel pipelines to the 640MB version and will be releasing the 8800GT.
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/05/nvidia-kills-8800gts-320mb
We knew that Nvidia was planning to kill the 8800GTS 320MB in order to make room for the 65nm die-shrink that the world has come to know as G92.

But it turns out that you cannot order 320MB versions any more either, since it is being pronounced as an EOL (End of Life) product.

Next in line to go through a change is the 8800GTS 640MB, which is being tweaked up in order to live through the 512MB and 256MB versions of G92.

I also read about price drops and saw a chart I just can't find it though...

Nvidia decided to raise the specs by another 16 scalar shader units, so the 8800GTS will now feature 112 scalar shaders, 16 less than 8800GTX/Ultra. Clockspeeds remain the same, as do thermal and other specs.

But there are a lot of miffed Nvidia partners, crying foul over the situation. Imagine the surprise of AIBs that have thousands of printed retail boxes with old specs.

If Nvidia ever says that they're thinking about greening the Planet and all other environmental chit-chat manufacturers like to use these days, ask them about how many trees they killed with just this sudden announcement.. µ
I read about price drops and saw a chart somewhere I just can't find it...

prices are dropping all the time.. the place im buying my 8800GTX is now down to $699 aus.. the trick is to look around for the best place to buy them! dont just settle with the first place u see because their bound to be cheaper elswhere

Of course there will be a price drop in the future. It's just a matter of time.

*whispers* if you find an OEM version, they work great, and are A LOT cheaper *end of whisper*

Back
Top Bottom