Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default NTLDR misssing and nothing loading

Can anyone give advice, when i load up my computer i cant get any start up exept for a black page saying NTLDR missing i have accidently delated something, i have contacted dell to get a recovery disk of them and they say that installing the disk will bring my sytem back to normal without losing any of my work stored in my documents, the problem i have is that they want to charge me 40 to talk me through the process. I have been told that i just install the disk and thats it, i dont mind paying but if its as easy as installing the disk then then i could do with saving the cash. Any help or advice will be much appreciated

Old 11-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: NTLDR misssing and nothing loading

Have a look at this: Microsoft on NTLDR is missing

Old 11-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Copperhead

that happened to me a month ago. unfortunately i ended up having to reformat my hdd, hopefully u wont have to. good luck!

google ntldr missing, some stuff should come up. it just didnt work for me.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to MeTzenAs

if you are getting a NTLDR missing error, then I think dell is pulling your leg.. the only fix I've ever done for this is formatting the machine.. best way to correct all your problems :O)
AMD 4000+ w/ san diego core, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 mobo, 1GB of Corsair XMS ddr400, 1GB Rosewill w/ black heat spreaders ddr400, (2GB of RAM total), ATI X850XT Platinum Edition (AGP), 160gb Seagate sata HD, 120gb Western Digital IDE backup drive, Antec smartpower 2.0 450w PSU, Logitech MX 518 expert gaming mouse. Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset
Old 11-01-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Copperhead

yeah dont waste too much time figuring out. ur better off just reformatting it and gettin it over with as soon as possible (if u think nothing else will work)
Old 11-01-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to THEpiGUY

I believe I also had this error a while back. That's what caused my format. Fortunately, I didn't have anything but a bunch of games and stuff on my computer, so it was easy. If you've got anything that needs to be backed up, the 40 would be better spent on another hard drive. Put the Windows CD in, install it on the new drive, then you have access all of your files on your other HDD. You can back these up, then format your original drive. Now you've got a new HDD instead of having someone else format your original hard drive. That's what I'd do anyway.

If you don't: have the money/want to use the money/know how to or feel uncomfortable about putting in a new HDD, you could attempt to do the CD recovery thing, but I couldn't do it and ended up formatting. I didn't have the money to get a new hard drive.

Good luck getting it fixed.

I think I've decided to leave... maybe I'll come back sometime.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Cool Re: NTLDR misssing and nothing loading

you need to put the disc in and set the bios to boot off cd then when windows setup comes up you want to select r for repair. it will take you to a dos prompt(black screen) where it will wait for your input.
in there you want to try the following

try this first after you hit enter just restart as normal (if it doesn't work go to the ones below)
FIXBOOT C:

only use ths if above does not work this will copy the file from the cd
COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\

this is the third option
BOOTCFG /rebuild

use this if none of the others work.
FIXMBR C: (try this as last resort)

if you need help getting into the bios or changing boot order let me know.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to joe pic Send a message via MSN to joe pic Send a message via Yahoo to joe pic

NO!

i had the same problem, here

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

You will get this error if ya have a non system floppy disk in ya drive and it tries to boot from this, so if ya got a disk in there, then remove it. You DONT need to format ya HDD to repair this, thats total BS. This is what ya do.
1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

And if ya havent got an XP disc, then borrow one off a mate
Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #10
Beta Member

Hey cheers you all my disk arriving in a day or two shall post how i get on from all your advice cheers again

Closed Thread