Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Notebooks/Laptops With "Free" Wireless Internet?

Hello. I'm looking for an older laptop/notebook (maybe P4 or a very cheap Dual Core). I know that new notebooks today have "free" wireless internet if you connect to an unsecured network. My question is are there notebooks/laptops like that with P4, and are they sold in stores? Which I can probably get for cheaper as I only need a laptop for internet and nothing else.

dankup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Notebooks/Laptops With "Free" Wireless Internet?

My suggestion then would be a Netbook. They go quite cheap these days and are made specifically for exactly what you wish to do. Asus and HP make nice Netbooks. Mind you, practically every laptop has a built-in wireless adapter but the internet is not free. You have to find a router source.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Why not just get a wireless adapter for you desktop? And look at acer, asus, and lenevo's stuff. They make excellent budget laptops.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
My suggestion then would be a Netbook. They go quite cheap these days and are made specifically for exactly what you wish to do. Asus and HP make nice Netbooks. Mind you, practically every laptop has a built-in wireless adapter but the internet is not free. You have to find a router source.
I meant me connecting to an unsecure network when I need to browse the internet. And I do kinda want a DVD/CD drive... + a bigger screen.
dankup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Almost noone sells a new single core laptop or computer. You could probably find a cheap one *new* with a CDC and a 15 inch screen. Or shop ebay (or a local used PC store) and find a single core laptop with a built-in wireless adapter.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to jikifreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankup View Post
I meant me connecting to an unsecure network when I need to browse the internet. And I do kinda want a DVD/CD drive... + a bigger screen.
If I were you i wouldn't do that. They are not secure, and besides your stealing someones internet. Some people monitor that sort of thing and can find out your doing it and you may get in trouble.
Rosewill Conqueror|ASRock A780GXE AM2+|Phenom II X4 940@3.0Ghz Stock|Zalman 9900|8GB G.Skill DDR2 800|OCZ StealthXStream 700W|XFX Ati Raedeon 5770 1gb GDDR5 DX11|16X Samsung DVD-RW|360GB(SATA), 40GB(SATA), 160GB(SATA), 200GB(IDE) 500GB External(USB 2.0)|Windows 7 64Bit|19inch LCD Widescreen at 1400X900 Resolution via DVI|
jikifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by jikifreak View Post
If I were you i wouldn't do that. They are not secure, and besides your stealing someones internet. Some people monitor that sort of thing and can find out your doing it and you may get in trouble.
Nope, not the case at all. If a person hasn't put a password on the network, anyone can join legally.

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Site Team

The situation is actually a bit of a grey area regarding insecure wireless networks, and probably depends on what country you're in - it's far from being classed as one way or the other for definite though.

It becomes a bit more clear cut on the illegal side when you break into networks (i.e. cracking WEP keys!) but I'll assume you're not going there!

If you got a wireless adapter though you can still connect to insecure wireless networks the same as if you had a laptop. It sounds like you want something new along the laptop / netbook line though anyway, and if this is the case then I'd recommend a netbook - they're small, cheap and perfect for browsing the internet or doing other everyday things

berry120 is offline   Reply With Quote