Notebook hardware Upgrade

Zaki

Daemon Poster
Since the Intel Core Duo processors are available on newegg.com, i was wondering whether I could actually put one of these into my old notebook.
my notebook is a sony pcgz1wamp1. it has a pentium M 1.7 ghz.
can i buy notebook mobos anywhere?

Unless you know exactly what your doing, I'd advise hiring a technician to replace a notebook motherboard as its more likely to make mistakes on a laptop than a desktop.

This might work with your motherboard if your CPU is in fact a Socket 478.. but your motherboard would have to support this type of processor and more than likely since this processor is rather new and your board is probally older, thats unlikely..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819111178

All the same, I'd hire a technician if you needed to do a motherboard replacement on a laptop if you don't know exactly what your doing. It does seem you'd need to get at least a new motherboard, and then make sure everythings compatible in the process.

well, i dont know how to check if the socket is 478 or not, but i dont think the experiment is worth a try because the laptop cant be upgraded much at all.

First, you can't openly purchase notebook motherboards. There is no retailer that sells motherboards for notebooks.
Second, the Pentium M is Socket 479, not Socket 478.
Third, the Pentium M (Banias and Dothan) has a different pin layout than the Core Solo/Duo (Yonah). They're both Socket 479, but the Yonah has a different pin layout, meaning some pins are placed in different places. This means that you're unable to buy any of the Core Solo or Duo processors and just simply swap it out with your Pentium M. You'll just have to upgrade to a faster Pentium M.

Bahawolf, Newegg.com mislabled that processor. All of Intel's current mobile processors (Banias, Dothan and Yonah) are Socket 479. The only one that won't is Intel's next-generation mobile processor, code-named Merom.

Back
Top Bottom