Not sure what's wrong with this PC

Jesusfrk611 - how do i jump the power connector to rule that out?

The wire that runs from the power button to the mobo, disconnect it at the mobo. Then take something metal (flathead screwdriver is what I use most of the time) and touch both of the connectors the power button connects to (and nothing else). That does the exact same thing the power button would do when pressed. If that doesn't work I'd say the mobo is messed up. I've just never seen an instance where the PSU works, but it doesn't actually power up... I'm sure you already did, but I'd recheck the power connectors with the mobo to make sure they didn't come loose.

The wire that runs from the power button to the mobo, disconnect it at the mobo. Then take something metal (flathead screwdriver is what I use most of the time) and touch both of the connectors the power button connects to (and nothing else). That does the exact same thing the power button would do when pressed. If that doesn't work I'd say the mobo is messed up. I've just never seen an instance where the PSU works, but it doesn't actually power up... I'm sure you already did, but I'd recheck the power connectors with the mobo to make sure they didn't come loose.

Ok i disconnected the connector from the power btn to the mobo, then turned on the power, touched the 2 pins on the mobo where the connector touched with a metal piece and nothing happened still. The little green light on the mobo is lit, but yet...nothing. So even though the light on the mobo is lit, is the mobo fried?

That'd be my guess. Still, as I said before, I don't like all this 'jumping'. I'd rather take a psu that I know works, hook it up and verify that it still won't start. Then I think I would be leaning toward the mobo.

That'd be my guess. Still, as I said before, I don't like all this 'jumping'. I'd rather take a psu that I know works, hook it up and verify that it still won't start. Then I think I would be leaning toward the mobo.
I'm a little hesitant to the PSU from my working PC into the non-working one as i don't want to damage mine in any way. Besides, i've seen the one in there working in the self-test above, so there's no reason it shouldn't work properly. And the little green light is on, so there is power, just no life.

If it is a fried mobo, wouldn't the rest of the PC turn on anyway? Or would it be lifeless?

Ok so instead of wasting more time and energy trying to fix something that's obviously broke, i think it's time to replace the entire box. He's looking to spend about $400CAD. He doesn't game. The PC will really only be for checking email, Facebook and that kind of stuff. I think he'd get more for his money with an AMD based PC (but correct me if i'm wrong). And he doesn't want to replace the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse) so he'll need old skool connections, RGB for the monitor and PS2 for the keyboard/mouse (unless these can come with the box under $400). I would prefer pick up from stores like Canada Computers, PC Village, Tigerdirect since these stores are all driving distance from me. Any suggestions would be very helpful, since i haven't looked at PCs in years.

Thanks.

I would recommend you start a new thread for a new build. You'll get more responses. I would help you now, but I have to attend school.

Back
Top Bottom