Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Not sure what's wrong with this PC

Hi all,
My b-in-law keeps his PC is powered on all the time. He woke up this morning and the blue light around the power button was flashing. He got scared, decided it needed to be shut off, tried hitting the power button (but most likely didn't hold it long enough to shut off) so he pulled the plug. :S Now the PC doesn't show any signs of life anymore. I replaced the PSU with an old one I had lying around to see if that was the problem and when i push the power button nothing happens. But there is a little green light that is lit on the mobo when the PSU is plugged in. Any ideas what the problem could be? And how to fix it? The 2nd PSU could be dead too, i'm not sure since i haven't used it in years.

Thanks.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ [939 Socket] W/ ASUS "A8N-SLI Premium" (OC'd @2.4ghz) | 560W Silverstone Spider PSU | Kingston 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory | Dual MSI Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 128-bit PCIe @555/1111 in SLI | Samsung 19" LCD 930B (8ms) | Western Digital 200 GB SATA II (x2) | LG Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
d_source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Guru

Default Re: Not sure what's wrong with this PC

If you think the second PSU may be dead, try another one! If you don't hear any moving parts whatsoever, it could well be the PSU. Try this jump start technique to see if the PSU is dead. If it's not dead, then it probably is a fried motherboard. Or maybe the connector on the power button came loose.

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Fully Optimized

First thing I would do is make sure you plugged the new (second) psu in properly and that the HDD is plugged in. Where there any storms through the night that could have potentially damaged the computer? It is probably worth it to check an known working psu to make sure that is not the issue. Otherwise I'd reckon that is the mobo that died.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
If you think the second PSU may be dead, try another one! If you don't hear any moving parts whatsoever, it could well be the PSU. Try this jump start technique to see if the PSU is dead. If it's not dead, then it probably is a fried motherboard. Or maybe the connector on the power button came loose.
Thanks for the link. I tested the PSU and it worked fine. BTW, i put the paperclip in first then turned on the power. Not sure why the guide says to put it in after.
OK so i know its not the PSU, next i want to check the connection to the power button. How do i open the front part of the case? I tried pulling it and don't want to crack or break anything but it doesn't seem to want to come off. Is there an easy way to do it that i'm not seeing?

Thanks.

BTW - All connectors are plugged in properly including the HDD. No power storms that night so that's not it and there are no moving parts when the power button is pushed. I've left the case open and checked to make sure.
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ [939 Socket] W/ ASUS "A8N-SLI Premium" (OC'd @2.4ghz) | 560W Silverstone Spider PSU | Kingston 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory | Dual MSI Nvidia GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3 128-bit PCIe @555/1111 in SLI | Samsung 19" LCD 930B (8ms) | Western Digital 200 GB SATA II (x2) | LG Dual Format/Double Layer 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
Old 09-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
Guru

To open that front cover, there's usually a latch on the inside that you have to pull, should be by the HDD bay. There should be one near the top and one near the bottom.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Nice advice,I think the same way too,check the PSU is important.
dushuai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Every computer is different in terms of getting the covers off. Usually there are clips on the inside that are hard to get to and that I always end up breaking when I try to get the covers off. As long as you don't break them all...
Old 09-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I would think more to check the connection of the power button wire to the mobo. Or just jump the power connectors on the mobo to rule out the power button as a problem if it still doesn't start. Most of the time with a dead mobo I see it powers on with hard drives running and fans spinning, but no post at all.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

I managed to get the clips off and pull the front cover off and all the wires seem to be attached fine. So i think that's out.

Jesusfrk611 - how do i jump the power connector to rule that out?

BTW - The fan does not run, nothing does, when plugged in and turned on. The machine is lifeless. But as i said up top, i did test the PSU and it is working fine. And there is a green light that turns on on the mobo when everything is plugged in and switch on PSU is set to ON.

What's my next step?

THX
Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Fully Optimized

Sounds like a mobo.

As Jesusfrk611 said, a dead mobo may 'start' but there's no post. Well in this case it won't even turn on. I'd still like to see if you put in a known working psu if it will work. I've never heard of 'jumping' the psu...