Not sure what to upgrade.

Psycho_Medic

Beta member
I've been running most of my games on the low settings, and it's never really bothered me, but now I don't even meet the minimum req for most of the new games. I'm sure everything could use a little (lot?) of help, but is there anything that stands out as needing an upgrade? I've got about $400-$500 to work with and I'm not so sure what to do.

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (SP 4)
AMD Semphron 2800+, 2000 MHz (12 x 167)
Biostar M7VIG (Pro) (FSB 333)
512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
RADEON 9600 PRO - (128 MB)(AGP)

Everything else is relativly new and I'm not too worried about it, power supply is new since my last one burned, and I just got a new hard drive and DVD/CD drive.

Any suggestions you could give or if anything is screwy with my system would be great. Tried doing some research but couldn't find much. Thanks.

if i were u
i would upgraede to 1 gig of ram
it'll make ur comp go faster
trust me i got 1gig and i love it

Thanks for the feedback.

About the AMD Athlon 64, it says that it runs at 1.8 ghz. My Semphron runs at 2ghz, but I have heard that there's something crappy with them, although I don't really understand. Is it still worth changing processers?

Well, really, for $500, you might as well buy a whole new PC. I see ads in the paper for excellent Gateway/Dell/HP/Compaq's for about that much. You can probably get:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1 Gig of PC 3200 RAM
Integrated Graphics
200 Gig Hard Drive

For about that much. If you don't want a whole new computer, LambOfGod's ideas for upgrades are very good. The "power" upgrade that he listed will let you play most games at low to medium settings.

freestyler105 said:
Well, really, for $500, you might as well buy a whole new PC. I see ads in the paper for excellent Gateway/Dell/HP/Compaq's for about that much. You can probably get:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
1 Gig of PC 3200 RAM
Integrated Graphics
200 Gig Hard Drive

For about that much. If you don't want a whole new computer, LambOfGod's ideas for upgrades are very good. The "power" upgrade that he listed will let you play most games at low to medium settings.

freestyler105, he wont be able to play much of anything with Integrated graphics.

And since you have a 7600GT you should know you can Max out the graphics on pretty much everything with a 7600GT. "not just low to medium"

Psycho_Medic

Dont worry about the clock speeds on the Athlon 64, It is a processor that does more with lower Clocks speeds.

Worry about the 3200+ rating, that tells you what it performs like.

SO in the Athlon 64 is about 1200MHZ faster than your current one. And you will notice a nice difference :D

Yea the upgrades that lambofgod suggested will work out nicly. You should be able to run most games on high.

Good luck, follow my list for best results, And let us know what you end up going for

Back
Top Bottom