Not Seeing All the RAM

RVFmal

Baseband Member
I currently have 2 x 256 Meg Ram and 1 x 128 Meg Ram memory modules in my memory slots, but my system only reflects 384 Meg Ram when it should show 640.

Using Belarc Advisor it reflects that only 128 Meg Ram is reflected on each of the slots. When I did a search on my model of MoBo (MSI MS6119 Ver 2.10 (i440GX)) I found that it is capable of taking up to 256 Meg Ram per slot (ie: 768 meg RAM in total). All the modules are PC100 (the 2 x 256 are Hynix and the 128 is PQI).

I have tried to move the modules around to see if it made a difference, but to no avail. I even attempted to upgrade the BIOS.

Why is it not showing the missing 256 meg ram?

The problem you are having is the RAM density of the new 256MB modules are too high, i.e. on each stick you may have 8 chips each holding 32MB of memory. The Chipset/Bios will only be able to address the 1st 16MB on each chip effectively turning your 256MB module into a 128MB module. This problem cannot be resolved easily or probably not at all. Your best bet is getting a BIOS update from the Intel Website, or replacing your 256MB Dimms with older or with more Chips on them - 16 chips of 16MB.

connchri said:
The problem you are having is the RAM density of the new 256MB modules are too high, i.e. on each stick you may have 8 chips each holding 32MB of memory. The Chipset/Bios will only be able to address the 1st 16MB on each chip effectively turning your 256MB module into a 128MB module. This problem cannot be resolved easily or probably not at all. Your best bet is getting a BIOS update from the Intel Website, or replacing your 256MB Dimms with older or with more Chips on them - 16 chips of 16MB.

Both the 256 meg ram modules have chips on both sides (8 per side). I am trying to an update for the BIOS to possibly sort the problem out.

Hmm, I still think it is the RAM modules that are at fault though. Perhaps a different way of addressing. Tell me how your updated BOIS goes.

well 256+128 is 384, so either your pc is only recognizing 3 128's or you have a bad slot. Try switching your 128 with a 256 that you have allready, see if that works

Diespine, I have already tried installing one at a time, but it made no difference and only reflected 128 every time I installed them.

Just a correction to my previous statement, the 2 x 256's are singlesided and the 128 is double sided.

It seems the PC is only recognizing 128 per slot. I tried updating the BIOS, but now I cannot reboot the PC. It just hangs after the memory test. When I go into the BIOS it is set to boot in the following sequence: A, C, SCSI, but doesn't boot at all.

Have I duffed something up.

I know this might sound weird, but some older motherboards might have problems with size differences in modules. For instance your 128mb of Ram reads fine which is one chip, and it also reads your 2x 256mb as 128mb on each chip. I have a feeling its seeing the single 128mb chip and because this is the lowest, seeing them all like this.

What I would advise to do is try taking out the 128mb chip. Do you now get 512mb of RAM from the 2x 256mb chips? If this is the case, you'll just have to buy another 256mb of RAM and put this into the slot the 128mb one was in. This might work.

But now you've got another problem... hmm... I'd clear the BIOS chip's memory which you should do after a flash has been preformed. Either take out the circle battery from the motherboard with the power off for an hour or so to drain the memory or if your motherboard has a memory CMOS jumper, try changing the position of this, leaving it for a few minutes, and then placing it back.

if this doesn't work, I'm afraid you could have done more damage since you might have flashed the wrong BIOS which would kill it... I hope it hasn't though

I Hope this helps

Kage. Thanks for the reply. I did try that, but when I removed the 128 it still only reflected 256MB.

Now I cannot do anything as the PC seems to be fluggered.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS? I added to it :p

Thats weird...so when you removed the 128mb of RAM, the 2 lots of 256mb of RAM remained to be 256mb?... Hmm... I would have thought that might be the problem if the chips were double sided but since they are single sided, I just don't know I'm afraid... :( It's like its only seeing half the RAM installed each time. You said you've swapped the RAM sticks around to?

You might find it might work once you get the bios working... or you might just have a dodgy motherboard...

Back
Top Bottom