Norton VS AVG

DEccles

Baseband Member
With AVG providing free (albiet limited) versions of their Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware is it worth paying $70 for products like Norton Internet Security, or even $40 for Norton Anti-Virus?

I previously had an older version of Norton which had just been continuously updated, and it never detected anything, when free or trial versions of other programs would sometimes find dozens of threats.

I have access to Norton Anti-Virus 2006, but it's of course not compatable with AVG Anti-Virus so I can't have both and I'm not sure which is better.

Anyone have any suggestions on either of these programs, or any others for that matter?

Thanks.

Go with AVG. It has great detection and uses probably 1/10 the resources that norton does. Norton sucks IMO, I've had it crash my PC multiple times so I got rid of it. If you want to pay for a product go with NOD32, that's a great product and detects better than anything else out there. AVG free edition and AVG antispyware are both great though. They're all better than norton.

Go with AVG. It has great detection and uses probably 1/10 the resources that norton does. Norton sucks IMO, I've had it crash my PC multiple times so I got rid of it. If you want to pay for a product go with NOD32, that's a great product and detects better than anything else out there. AVG free edition and AVG antispyware are both great though. They're all better than norton.

I agree,i use AVG as my Anti-Virus and it works really well.

I hate AVG, it scans slow and it never seems to get anything. NOD32 on the other hand, is probably the ONLY software I'd ever purchase.

Jenox said:
I hate AVG, it scans slow and it never seems to get anything. NOD32 on the other hand, is probably the ONLY software I'd ever purchase.

AVG does scan awfully slow. It's good for a free program though. I'm going to buy NOD32 in the future though, I've used the trial version multiple times and it's the best I've ever used. It's also very customizeable and the on-demand scanning is top notch. That's probably the only security program worth paying for :)

Yeah i couldn't agree more. NOD32 is the ONLY piece of software I would ever buy. hands down.

Cool, thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I'll use AVG for the meantime

Atomic Rooster said:
I've been using AVG ever since my first year subscription ran out on Norton SystemWorks 2002.

Another good proggy is avast! 4 Home Edition. I haven't tried it, but I hear really good things about it. :D

Avast is a really good program as well. The only thing I don't like is that you have to register, and the skins are annoying but you can disable them.

troy272 said:

AVG is great and easy to use and wins my award for second best antivirus

However recently i've switched to Nod32, and it's a bit confusing but overall it's great

Back
Top Bottom