Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-27-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
In Runtime

Default Norton Systemworks freezes

Hi i have just purched Norton Systemworks and it freezes when i try to acivate it why does this happen and how could i fix it? has anyone else had this problem before

nick_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:57 AM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Norton Systemworks freezes

Take it back to the shop and get a refund, Norton system works is responsible for so many pc problems you are better off without it.
I could rant on about this programme, I don't know how many pc's I've had to format after people have installed this programme, imho, get rid of it.
What were the features in System Works you need? there are plenty of freeware products out there that do a better job, list your requirements and I'll see if I can point you at a few.

Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstar
Take it back to the shop and get a refund, Norton system works is responsible for so many pc problems you are better off without it.
I could rant on about this programme, I don't know how many pc's I've had to format after people have installed this programme, imho, get rid of it.
What were the features in System Works you need? there are plenty of freeware products out there that do a better job, list your requirements and I'll see if I can point you at a few.

Hi thanks for the help i would just like to have a east to use firewall and anti virus program that wont allow "hackers" and all viruses to get on my computer i hav alot of spyware/adaware removal programs so i am ok with that.

thanks for the help
nick_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:50 AM   #4
BSOD

I have a hardware firewall in my ADSL modem so I don't worry too much about firewalls, I have the XP one running as a backstop, but there is the old favourite Zone Alarm.
It can be a little finiky, you need to allow permissions for net access for apps on your pc etc but is pretty self explanatory (Help files) (maybe others will know of more options)

AV, sheeeeeeeeeesh there are swags .....

AVG Free

Antivir

Either one of these two will do fine, I use AVG personally, if you are the paranoid type there are also the online scans ... BitDefender, Tend Micro Housecall, Panda Activescan and more (I was going to hyperlink but the servers were .au so just Google for a server closer to you)
Deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Yeah, double up on protection by getting Ad-aware. It will protect from most harmful spyware/adware.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...ml?tag=lst-0-1

For firewall, I just use the built in one for Win XP. It offers basic protection and you dont have to download anything. However, if you want more options, just download Zonealarm. It's free and it does a great job of protecting your computer from internet intrusions, like hackers and the like.

http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm/30...ml?tag=lst-0-2