Norton on Dial UP?

Brian_Fenner

In Runtime
I've been spoiled as I've had cable internet for over 5 years and I think I'd give up the PC if I had to go back to dial-up..........

Anyway I'm setting up a system for a newbie relative that will be having dial-up. I want to install Norton Internet Security on this system but how does a person go about keeping the system updated (Dat files, etc) through live update? It's insanely slow on dial-up and would surely render the PC useless when it's downloading the updates or WIN updates, for that matter.
Besides that this person is very new and would definitely lose interest if it slowed the PC down alot on the internet.

How do you dial-up poeple handle this? :cool:

Thanks..........

PS - This system will be my older PC that I already have NIS installed and will re-install once I put a fresh XP install on it, so it's not like I'm purchasing an additional copy of Norton.

I dont believe there is any other way around it. They will have to grin and bare it. :D

Teencompwiz2 said:
I dont believe there is any other way around it. They will have to grin and bare it. :D

definitly, if you want norton and want to keep it updated, you need the internet to download updates.

wut kind of dial up is he getting? why not jus get SBC yahoo dsl for only $14.95 per month??? !! netzero charges $9.99 per month for their slow dial up. its only 4 dollars more and u dont have to dial everytime and opens up more phone time.

abowlofrice said:
wut kind of dial up is he getting? why not jus get SBC yahoo dsl for only $14.95 per month??? !! netzero charges $9.99 per month for their slow dial up. its only 4 dollars more and u dont have to dial everytime and opens up more phone time.

They live in the sticks and can't get cable or DSL...........
besides that it's hard enough to get them to cough up $9.95 for something like Netscape.
They aren't paying anything for the PC/printer/speakers/etc as it's my older HP 980C system.

I'm trying to help them move forward from Amish technology...... :eek:

Thanks for the repsonses.........I just don't know how people survive on dial-up as it's like operating with a valve on the pipeline that's pretty much closed.

I use to run on Netzero dial up with Norton. Because your internet is not always on, you would have to manually perform the LiveUpdate and everything else. Unless if you log on to match the schedule of the LiveUpdate, it won't perform the task.

the new definitions for norton shouldn't be too big, atleast they were not when I still suffered from norton. Windows updates can be quite annoying with dial-up, but they shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom