Norton antivirus 2004

jim1

BSOD
Why is norton antivirus 2004 slowing my computer right down? at startup i have to wait about 3 mins before i can actualy click on something and if i click on someting before norton has loaded it takes for ever.

every program in your start up list needs time to load. Even my computer takes like 20 seconds for everything to finish loading. and what are you specs on your comp?

I used to have a program caused Start Up Manager. And I cut my load times in 2/3s. By simply shutting of aim, msn, steam, and all those lil extra toys that only slow you down on start up. Look it up on www.cnet.com under downloads. Its only a free trail. If I had the moeny i'd pay for it.

Norton is doing a startup scan and also looking for updates when it starts as do just about all anti-virus programs. The more start-up programs that you have the longer it takes for the scan to take place as that is what it is scanning. In reallity very few programs need to be in the start-up folder as they are just resource hogs. This includes most office programs,all games, photo editers,and media programs.

my system specs are-
AMD SeMPRON 2800+ Which is 2 ghz
256mb ddr
120mb hard drive
64mb graphics
dvd drive
cd+dvd combo rewriter
Windows xp home sp2.

You mean 120 gigs, but that's ok. Do you have a lot of apps loading at start up? If so, just take some out and you should have a faster computer. And maybe get some more ram. I had that same problem a few weeks ago and then I upgraded to 1 g of ram (from 512) and it was just an incredible difference. 256 mb of ram just isn't that much these days. Is that possible for you?

yes i did mean 120gb hard drive. ha ha
i have a tight budget and only can afford to stick another 256mb inside would this improve my system performance?
id love to stick the maximum of 2gig in it but as i said i have a tight budget.

just save up for 1gig. You will see a huge difference.

EDIT: You can get 1gig of Corsair Value RAM for under 80 bucks on Newegg sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom