Is it normal for laptop to turn off when overheating?

dcjose201

Baseband Member
I have a hp pavilion dv1000 laptop that has had its motherboard fried and replaced 4 times. It seems that since the last time it had the motherboard replaced that when ever it starts to overheat it just turns off. Is this something that is put in place so it does not fry the motherboard? I no longer have warranty for the laptop so that is why I just want to buy another one.

Yes if it gets to hot its going to shut down. This way it doesn't burn up your computer or start a fire.

Have you made sure all your fans are running in your laptop? If you've fried that many boards something isn't functioning correctly. That or you've got it next to a heater.

Yes, that is a safety feature. I could tell you how to disable it, but it appears that you don't want to. To be honest, it shouldn't have to shut itself off, because it should never get that hot. How much ventilation does that thing have?

yer it usually powers off when it gets too hot as a safety precaution

if it keeps doing it i would open it up and check the fan anf vents etc because my last laptop's fan vent got clogged up with dust and kept switching off every 30mins then i removed all the dust from the vent and it worked a treat again

Im going to make sure that the fans arent clogged up. Also everytime that I have been suppose to go to frys to see if maybe i end up buying a laptop something comes up and I have to reschedule it. Maybe it is a sign not to buy a laptop.

Yeah one time i had just got it back from Circuit City after it had gotten fixed and I got home plugged it in, turned it one, and in less than 30secs it goes out on me again. It was the same problem. I was so furious. Never again am I buying HP. Im not saying that the brand is bad, but it hasnt been good with me.

yer it usually powers off when it gets too hot as a safety precaution

if it keeps doing it i would open it up and check the fan anf vents etc because my last laptop's fan vent got clogged up with dust and kept switching off every 30mins then i removed all the dust from the vent and it worked a treat again

Same thing here. This is what was causing the problem.

laptopdust1.jpg

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom