Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #31
BSOD

Default Re: Noob's first build!

Well I looked up some charts on 3 gb of ram vs 2 gb of ram and 6 gb of ram vs 3 gb of ram on DDR3 memory and it would appear that having 3 gb of ram makes a HUGE difference in fps and load times over 2 gb. 6 gb vs 3 gb showed an enormous improvement as well.

jarlmaster47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #32
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Jake Harris Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Harris

Go Atomic! xD Jarl, To reply on your Triple Channel and is better then Dual Channel post. Right now, Dual Channel is better optimized then Triple Channel due to DDR3 just recently coming out, So they dont really know what to do with it yet. Triple Channel just has more dimm's in it and there isnt any Latency difference between Triple Channel and Dual Channel. Overall, There the same.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:13 PM   #33
BSOD

Yeah I have heard that too. Eventually though I feel that triple channel will be better than dual channel once it has been properly optimized.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #34
In Runtime

But if you buy them now, They wont be, It'll only be properly optimized in future model's of it. So that's why Dual Channel DDR3 is the best for now.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #35
BSOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Harris View Post
But if you buy them now, They wont be, It'll only be properly optimized in future model's of it. So that's why Dual Channel DDR3 is the best for now.
I understand but if you look at the comparison charts you will see that triple channel did better in tests than dual channel did.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #36
In Runtime

But, That's just one test, Dual Channel is still better.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #37
BSOD

It was a test on multiple games that clearly showed triple channel getting more fps and smaller load times.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM   #38
Fully Optimized

Quote:
if the two modes are the same than how is either one better...? just because AR said that triple channel DDR3 isn't better than dual channel DDR3 doesn't make dual channel better, they are equal from what I'm understanding, they are basically the same...

now true triple channel would be better in that there would be an extra stick of the memory in question, 3GB is always better than 2GBs given everything else is equal including the size of the modules...

but put one stick of each in any DDR3 slot, be it triple channel or dual channel mode and they will perform the same...

Quote:
um, no, AR may want to clarify this, but I don't think that's what he was trying to say...
MY INTARDNET BEAST ■ Antec 300 ■ Q6600 B3, 2.8GHz @ 1.325v ■ MSI X48C Platinum ■ Kingwin XT-1264 ■ Visiontek HD 4870 512MB ■ 4x1GB Transcend aXeRam DDR3-1800 @ 1400MHz ■ WD Raptor (160GB) ■ Western Digital (250GB) ■ Samsung (640GB) ■ Seagate (500GB) ■ WD Caviar Green (1TB) ■ OCZ ProXStream 1kw ■ Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum ■ JVC HA RX900 ■

ME ■ I am bald and my head is lumpy...fear me ■
wol-va-rine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #39
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Triple channel does have it's advantages over dual channel as it offers higher bandwidth and faster speeds. In many tests however, that advantage is not very much. If you are building a new system that supports triple channel, then by all means take advantage of it.

My original question in this thread was to see if jarlmaster was just regurgitating something he may have read, or was he actually knowledgeable in the subject.

Here's a good read on the memory configurations:

Exploring the impact of memory speed on Core i7 performance
A look at channels, bus speeds, and latencies

Pay particular attention to the 920 - 1066 @ 9-9-9-27 (Dual) and the 920 - 1066 @ 9-9-9-27 results. Those are the direct comparisons between dual channel and triple channel and will give a good idea of their comparative performance. Also note that the triple channel does come out ahead in some tests because it has 3GB available whereas the dual channel is only 2GB.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #40
BSOD

Yeah Atomic Rooster I don't know a terrible amount about triple channel memory. I was basically regurgitating what I read coupled with experience at seeing triple channel memory use in person.