Noobie Computer Question!

eombom

Beta member
I have a hp pavillion computer, my sister has the exact same one. I noticed my computer has more ram slots, i dont know about graphics card slot tho, possibly. She got a new computer. Would it be okay if i stuck her old computers ram chips and possibly graphics card to upgrade my own? if so is there any other part i can take from hers and add it onto mine? its the exact same computer

You say that one computer has more RAM "slots" than the other. If this is the case, then they are clearly not the same model. A "stick" of ram fits into a "slot", but I digress. In any case, if they MAY use the same ram so if you take a stick out of hers you can add it to yours if you have an extra slot, assuming it PHYSICALLY fits. Now, the ram may be a different speed, but your computer will automatically adjust all ram to the lower of the two speeds. Therefore, if hers is a little slower, you won't notice much increase in performance since you have more ram but it's slower. Please make sure the computers are unplugged, and the battery is removed before doing this. As for the graphics card... maybe it'll work. HP, is weird like that. In conclusion, give it a shot. It is unlikely that you will do more harm than good. Just don't electrolytically shock anything...

Adding one RAM to your Computer without checking it's specification and model is not something good to do, please check the documentation accompanied your computers when purchased and see what type of RAM you have, do the same with your sisters computers and if they match and can easily fit on the memory slot then you can upgrade. If you have doubt please consider getting a technician do the job for you.

I don't think the OP is saying his computer has more slots than his sisters. He said both are the same model. I think he's saying that he has available slots.

If both computers are the same model it should be fine.

The model number should be on the back of the system if you want to double check. If you have more than 2 available slots you'll want to look up the specs of your mother board to see which ones are paired so you can run in dual channel mode.

hi i am new comer and i don't know a lot about this.

Why not you search on Google. It gives you better solution.

Back
Top Bottom