Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
In Runtime
Default Noisy fan. Driving me wild

Sorry if this question is in the wrong place. But I have a hp desktop that is about 3 yrs old and about 2 months ago i started to notice that the fan in the pc gets louder and louder than it slows down almost instantly then back up to full speed again minutes later. It does this all the time. It is really annoying. Speeds up slows down speeds up slows down. It has never done this before at least not that I could hear or notice it. How could I quit it down. Maybe a new quiter fan or something. I have no idea what to do. I have been using my laptop more lately cause it is that annoying. Any help here would be appreciated, Thanks

darkserpant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Noisy fan. Driving me wild

the speed is regulated by the system itself usually, if it gets noisy it's probably an issue with the bearings. Just replace the fan and make sure it;s securely attached. Should be all good then.

EVGA SLI Micro Z68 // Intel i5-2500k // 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz // Overclocked 2GB MSI R9 270X // Corsair Carbide SPEC-03 // Kingston Hyper-X 120GB // 2TB WD Green + 500GB WD Black
~Darkseeker~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Noisy fan. Driving me wild

You system might be running hot and be in need of a good cleaning. As the system gets warm, the fan speed increases. The increased airflow cools the system which then reduces the fan speed. If the system has been running warm for extended periods of time, it may have caused the thermal grease between the CPU & heatsink to dry out. In that case, remove heatsink, clean off old thermal grease, apply thin layer of new grease, reinstall heatsink.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote