No Thermal Compound?

FenixFan08

In Runtime
Hi I am just about to do my first build and everything came in the mail today and from what I read on nearly everything about building a computer is putting the thermal compound on the cpu fan, i got the amd phenom x4 965be. It didnt come with anything in the package, should I order some before starting the build?

If it didn't come with thermal compound in a tube, it might have a sheet of thermal compound (low quality usually but still) on the heatsink already. -- Look at it and you should be able to tell if there is like a white layer of "paste".

Oh yeah I see it, kind of looks like a piece of duct tape lol. So do you think I should get some different stuff or will this do the trick? Also, dont I have to get this stuff off before puting new stuff on?

If you were putting new stuff on, you'd remove the existing paste. The only difference is a few degrees.. you may as well build the machine now as it won't do any damage and you can buy new thermal paste if you notice its getting to hot.

If you aren't planning on overclocking then the stock thermal compound will work just fine.

I like to use the kind with scope in it, makes everything smell nice....LOL

Back
Top Bottom