No Sound From Speakers or Headphones

ebens311

In Runtime
Alright, I tried a search but I didn't really find an answer I was looking for. Just recently (the last couple of weeks actually) my PC has been having this issue playing any audio. If that happens, usually a simple and classic restart works and I get audio again. Well now, I can't get anything to play through the speakers and I even tried headphones through the back port (where my speakers were plugged in at) and the front port to no avail. I have a program called PC doctor but the test for Audio really was "click this, hear anything? No? Yeah there's a problem". And honestly, that didn't help me.

Is there a way or a program I can use/find/administer to find out whether or not my sound card to a dump? Or something to better diagnose the issue?

I don't know the EXACT specs off hand (I'm at work) but I know it was this is the exact model (below) that I had/have (changed cases a couple years ago) if that helps. It's a Gateway that I bought back in 2002. Everything but the CD drive is still stock. I replace the CD drive about 3 months ago. And no that's not my pc, just using the picture as a weak reference.

EDIT: I already tried the "Gateway Support Center" or whatever it is...yeah really didn't help much at all.

picture%20074.jpg

you have tried re installing the drivers right? thats the obvious thing.
tbh i recon the sound cards buggered, but see what everyone else thinks

you have tried re installing the drivers right? thats the obvious thing.
tbh i recon the sound cards buggered, but see what everyone else thinks
Honestly I didn't because I wanted your opinions first, but since that is a suggestion I'll give that a shot when I get home for sure. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated as well, thanks!

Assuming you haven't uninstalled the drivers or have the sound muted I would suggest first off to go into Device Manager and see if your sound device is there, has a yellow exclamation mark by it etc

You can find out what it is in Device Manager, probably "onboard" which would mean there is a fault with the m/board, it is 6 years old after all.

If it is onboard and faulty you may be able to purchase a cheap sound card if you have a spare PCI slot as a remedy.

The first thing I tried when I got home was disabling the device and then re-enabled it. Worked fine :) thanks for the help though guys. I printed off this thread for my archives, in case something similar happens again.

Back
Top Bottom