No Sound

addle_brains

Baseband Member
Because I've just replaced the mobo and reinstalled XP, there are countless issues. I'm getting no sound whatsoever. I downloaded the soundMAX audio driver required for my mobo and all of the device status' say that the device is running fine. My speakers work perfectly and the volume controls are fine. Still no sound. Anyone know what's wrong?

Go into Volume control and check there, and also double check you have the leads in the right socket.

If all else fails, get a dedicated PCI sound board, because they'll blow away any onboard sound. For about £15, they won't blow away your pocket either, trust me.

All these problems people have with onboard would just simply disapear :p

If you don't want to buy a new sound card (I wuuld suggest getting a dedicated PCI sound card), try uninstalling and reinstalling the sound driver in device manager. Sometimes the sound driver doesn't install right.

I went through bios and set AC97 audio to "auto". I downloaded a driver for this, but during installation, whether it's through the driver update wizard in the device manager or if I just run the *.exe, my computer always encounters a critical error and has to reboot. I don't know how to remedy this.

Try rolling back your drivers. Sometimes, you can accidentally download corrupt drivers and that might be the problem. Usually Microsoft has an archive of basic drivers that automatically install in place of the ones you installed to provide a foundation to start off of.

Did you try redownloading the drivers from the manufacturer? Or did you try using the driver on the disc that came with the motherboard (or should have). Let me know what turns up.

Sorry, I've been away for a week. I originally got the drivers from Asus but they still didn't work. Mobo didn't come with a cd, something about a factory extra or whatever.

I've got it so AC97 is disabled, midi is enabled and the SoundMAX is installed. Windows now thinks I've got sound but I'm still not getting any.

I flashed BIOS, which has sort of worked. Windows is totally cool with all of my drivers and WMP plays music files instead of giving me an error. One problem though.... still no sound! Windows thinks that everything is running fine but no sound is coming out! ARGH! :(

Just to throw something in, have you tried another pair of speakers? Maybe yours are no longer working. And if all else fails, try to get a nice PCI sound card, if you can't remedy the problem.

Back
Top Bottom