No signal to monitor, tried two new GPU's.

dunerider5

Baseband Member
I built a computer about six months ago with a 9500GT and a Biostar TA880GB+.

It was hooked up to two monitors. A couple of weeks ago one of the monitors stopped getting a signal. I tried new drivers, settings, everything I could think of. Still only getting a signal to one monitor.

So I got a new graphics card (Radeon HD 5450 SSF).
Hooked it up to three monitors, and I'm not getting a signal to any of them.

The motherboard does automatically switch off the onboard graphics when the graphics card is installed, but there is still no signal going through it apparently.

I emailed both Visiontek (graphics card manufacturer) and Biostar. Biostar never even bothered responding, and Visiontek wants to RMA the card. The problem is, I kind of doubt it's a bad graphics card.

Have you guys got any ideas? Can a chipset driver or something be responsible for this even though there is no signal during post?

Thank you for any help.

Well if you've swapped the video cards and the monitors, it's probably not a card/monitor issue.

There are several drivers for the motherboard including ones that operate the PCIe slot. It's possible the the driver operating the slot has become corrupted. I don't exactly know if all the motherboard drivers are bundled into the "chipset driver" or if motherboards use a lot of windows default drivers to operate.

When you install the motherboard drivers there is usually only 3 or so but if you look at all the motherboard drivers in device manager there are like 100.

I would try updating the chipset driver to see if there is improvement.

I would also try removing the card, and using duster or an air compressor to clean the slot. You can clean the gold leads with a soft cloth and some rubbing alcohol. If there is dust in the slot or skin oils/fingerprints on the leads it could cause the card to malfunction.

Also make sure that the card is pushed completely in.

If none of that works, it may be that the hardware for your PCIe slot is failing.

Try taking the CMOS battery out and in, why would it be the drivers, it resets itself if you plugged it in the onboard and took the gpu out, ofc gpu first

Thanks for the response.

Do chipset drivers make modifications in the operating system or on the motherboard/bios?

This could help me with troubleshooting in the future. It would seem that if it were in the operating system, then an issue that occurs during post would not be a chipset driver issue.

I'll try drivers again anyway. Hope it works. It would suck to see this Biostar motherboard fail so soon, but it's possible.

---------- Post added at 05:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Try taking the CMOS battery out and in, why would it be the drivers, it resets itself if you plugged it in the inboard and took the gpu out, ofc gpu first

Removed the battery for a while. No change when it was replaced.

Installed drivers aren't written to the bios, but they're loaded during post, before your OS is loaded.

Have you tried just on-bored graphics and take the GPU out.. this is a little confusing.. what about taking the cpu out and in? give it a shot.. i know it shouldn't be but hell why not try while it's down and out

you say one monitor stopped working, did you swap those monitors to see what happened? then swap cables?

It's fixed now, I just came back to report.

We put a new motherboard in, and only one monitor came on. The monitors are supposed to detect which connector they are getting a signal at (hdmi, vga, or dvi), but only one of them was doing it properly.

By pressing and holding random buttons on the monitors, I was able to get them to adjust. I honestly have no idea what I did there.

The funny thing is, I swear I remember the monitors saying "no dvi signal" the last time I tried it (before the new motherboard). I don't know if it was a combination of the motherboard and monitors, or maybe I'm wrong.

Whatever the case, it's working now.

Back
Top Bottom