No Mouse/Keyboard error

fetus

In Runtime
I built my first computer back in like July and everything was running smoothly until one day i powered it on to receive a "no keyboard or mouse detected" error. I ended up fixing this by resetting the CMOS, however, sometimes my mouse and keyboard stop working if i leave it idle. Almost everytime this happens I have to reset the CMOS to solve it. Anyone know what I can do to stop this from cropping up? Another thing to note, my monitor seems to be unresponsive at times as well. If I leave it idle, It won't come back on sometimes and continues to display the orange light. This doesn't seem to happen very often though, the keyboard thing is more of an issue.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail

EVGA 017-P3-1295-AR CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support ... - Retail

Vista 64 bit

Are you using a USB keyboard / mouse, or a PS/2? Are they plugging straight into the motherboard or are you running through any converters? I'd first try eliminating any PS/2 to USB converters or vice versa, then try a PS/2 keyboard if you're running a USB at the moment (and vice versa.)

If it's a USB keyboard / mouse you're using, do all the other USB devices stop working or is it just your keyboard and mouse?

Another thing I'd suggest trying would be to update your BIOS - if you're having to reset the CMOS to solve it it sounds like a pretty low level thing, and if it's a known problem a patch may well have been released.

If you could answer a few more of the above questions it'd be helpful:

- Do all the other USB devices stop working or is it just your keyboard and mouse?
- Have you tried updating your BIOS?
- Can you try a PS/2 keyboard and mouse and check if the same issue occurs?
- Have you tried disabling keyboard / mouse warnings in the BIOS?

Did you press F1 to continue? :D

Try doing a BIOS update. I had that problem with my EVGA x58 mainboard and a BIOS flash fixed it.

I just updated the bios so hopefully this will resolve it, looks good so far. Thanks for the responses.

Back
Top Bottom